Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Adding Elec Starter, Alternator, Lights?

dratkinson

All, I'd like to add an electric starter, alternator and lights to Baby Alice---an extensively modified B-206. Right now the engine is a recoil start B&S 10 HP I/C engine. It never had a starter or alternator. (Model: 28B702, Type: 1001-E1, Code: 99090120) What is the best way to add these features? Option 1---use a starter/generator unit? Option 2---use the separate B&S starter and alternator coil? For option 1, I've read some of you say that the charging current is limited because the S/G is sealed---no vent holes. Since several of you run S/G's on your tractors, I don't suppose this is a problem. For option 1, would it be possible to add the S/G unit and keep my recoil starter as a back up option? For option 2, I understand that there are several different types of alternator coils...some that only recharge the battery, and some that have a second higher-output charging coil to run lights and other electric options. For option 2, I also understand that I will probably need to change the flywheel. Is this correct and why? Do any of you have experience in adding these components, and which option would be the simplist to add and would give the better service. I'm actually leaning toward option 1 as it seems to me that it would require the least amount of modifications to the engine. Do any of you see a problem that I have not anticipated? ... or have suggesting for how I should proceed? Baby Alice has worked for 35 years and with a little more work I believe she will be good to go for another 35 years. Baby Alice wants to become a real lawn tractor when she grows up. :) Project status. ...add bigger engine: done. ...build modified Broadmoore steering geometry: done. ...add snowthrower: done. ...build pull-behind core aerator: done. ...rebuild deck and add second mulching blade. done. ...build deck plate to prevent "left-front green wheel" problem. done. ...build deck mulching plate. done. ...build manual deck lift: done. ...build variable speed drive: done. ...build locking differential function: work in progress stage. ...add electric start, alternator, lights: research stage. ...build rototiller: research stage. When finished, Baby Alice will be a B-206 / 10V, and will fit through a 30" gate. The neighborhood kids like to drive it and practice cutting their yard. We are still working on the concept of driving in a straight line. :) I'll post pictures when I get this done...just as soon as I can borrow a camera...and make just a few more changes. :) /tia David

Find a junker Murray or MTD with 12 HP engine with electric start as they should be a dime a dozen. Maybe people here will 'pipe' in with parts they have to sell or what ever. Most of them start with a model 286707. Take off the starter, flywheel, alternator windings and blower housing. Alternator winding should have two wires, 3-amp charge wire and 30 watt AC light. I put this in my Broadmoor eight something years ago and it works just fine. Here's is how it looks on my Broadmoor. http://www.simpletractors.com/gallery/hot_broadmoor.htm I did an Allis B-207 12 yaers ago same way. BTW both had S/G's on them. I don't recall S/G's beeing available for the 22,25 and 28 CID Briggs engines. The flywheels have the magnets glued for the chagrge circuit and if yours is a manual start, more then likely you don't have the alternator type flywheel. There are about 12 magnets glued in and easy to spot. There are different charge circuits avaiable but this is the most common. If you want to know more, best off buying a Briggs service manual for about $20. There is more info on charge circuits. Also one flywheel does not handle all circuits. Also if you stay all electric you are going to have to cut the tip off the crankshaft that pilots the rope start clutch. You will see that if you scrounge for parts.

I agree with Bob. You just need an electric start version of your engine to get parts from. If you want to keep the pull start, you'l have to go with the newer starter type I think (as opposed to the belt drive starter/generator). Theses pictures are all of the same model 8HP engine with different start types: Pull and electric start: [img]/club2/attach/clyde/8hpelec.jpg[/img] Pull start only: [img]/club2/attach/clyde/8hppull.jpg[/img] S/G electric start: [img]/club2/attach/clyde/8hpsg.jpg[/img]

Also read this post    [url="http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=39146"]Electric start on 707 [/url] Download manual for installation of the 990304 electric start kit for Broadmoor [url]http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1614_00_AT_S.pdf[/url]