Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Napa Points for Briggs? Not impressed.

BigSix

Hi all: Given the dismal disposition of the closer mower shop, I decided to try points (from a Napa store) for my new (1963?) Simp. 725, with the 19D Briggs. Believe it or not, I haven't had the pleasure of changing the points on any of our little wonders. Once I realized the frame of the Napa points was bent, threading the machine bolts into the block was easier. Of course, that was after I (finally) got the captive bolt (that adjusts the points)to turn freely in the points. It has a collar which retains it, and though the supplied nut was free, the bold was not. It must have been galling (?) on the points frame, because a tiny amount of PB Blaster made it amazingly free. Lastly, I thought it odd that the condensor did not have a metal terminal on the end of it's wire. I had to peel the 2-pronged wire terminal off of the old condensor, and crimp/solder it on. Do Briggs points come with the terminal on the condensor? My boat's condensor comes with a terminal on it. Anyone experience these difficulties before? Just curious as I think I'll try Briggs points next time. At least they did make a strong, blue spark. The tractor started right up and ran fine. It last ran when Clinton was president--the older lady that sold it to me parked it in 1999, snowblower in up position, and that's how I found it. The points part number is Napa 7-01087. The condensor part number is Napa 7-01357 (replaces B&S 298OEO) I believe the pair of them was approx. $18.00--I think he saw me comin'. Peter

None of my old Briggs engines have a connector on the condensor wire. I think I have seen them on condensors on newer engines. The last time I bought a Briggs points / condensor set it was around $22.00.

NAPA and Carquest carries "Primeline" which I have used on many occassion and have not had a problem. Just have to loop the wire under the bolt and tighten.

I too use only NAPA parts, and the only thing I ever had a problem with was an universal electric fuel pump. I've only seen a connector here and there on old stuff i"m replacing, not on new. (plus my employer gets a sizable discount that I can use) Rob

quote:
Originally posted by Rob-B
(plus my employer gets a sizable discount that I can use) Rob
I too use Napa parts, never had any problem. Like Rob, I put my stuff on my bosses account! Elon

Interesting. I too have always been satisfied with Napa parts (AND service, which I still find is the best in my area). Which is why I was surprised about these parts. If the points frame wans't bent and I hand't had to work that (new) adjusting bolt so hard to free it, I wouldn't have minded about the condensor. My boat is a '72 and I guess that's "newer, by comparision (LOL) as those (Napa-sourced) condensors alway's have the terminal on them. Thanks for the comments. Peter

Me personally, I like to stick with the OEM parts. You can't go wrong. I'd rather pay the extra money. Just my opinion.:o)

Converted my 7010 to electronic trigger, keeping the points so it would fire the way it it designed. 12 plus years later, same points, same trigger. I will do it to my 3112 (16HP version) if and when the condensor decides to call it quits. Speaking of quits, I have a 60 JD (TEC VH60)going thru work in progress. Ya, ya, ya, GREEN PAINT!!!. It was free. Anyway, when I rebuilt engine (Not the 6 HP but a 7 HP VH70) it had the original points condensor ass'y as opposed to seperate parts. As close as I can figure out, the engine is about 25 years old and it still fires. I have run about ten gallons of gas thru it, chasing around doing this and that and a couple of show.