Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

powermax 9020 losing power

memanpa

i have a powermax that runs fine for about 20 to 30 minutes, then it slowly loses power starts popping and barely runs, have checked the points look ok! plugs look ok, if i let it cool down for an hour or so it is back up and running fine again for a little while. fuel filter is new! this is a 9020 with an onan engine!! ideas anyone i need help on this one thanks

this came on pretty suddenly! one day ran fine a couple days later it started this, progressivly getting worse, will run a compression test when hot! thanks

Maybe the coil is going bad? I've seen this before where the engine will run fine until hot and then quit. Coil had turned out to be bad.

A little moister in the coil or the condenser will cause this problem. With fall comeing on, more moister in the air will accumilate in the points housing and give you funny problems. The cost of a condenser is minimal, so I'd start with it. I'd flush the fuel system also. Alittle water bubble in the fuel will collect and get picked up and cause trouble. But it sounds like a bad condenser.

If the points are not set correctly (too close), the tractor will lose power as it warms up. Make sure that they are .020 and free of oil. On these engines, sometimes oil vapor from the crankcase will "film" the points. I clean mine occasionally with brake cleaner and blow them dry with compressed air. Good luck! Dave

appears like resetting the points, replacing the condenser, and or replacing the coil (had an old one laying around) solved the problem, had an old condenser too! cleaned the point faces. thanks guys