Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Restored 64 Landlord

jjouelle

Looks pretty good. I hope you don't mind some constructive criticism that may help you correct a few things that are not OEM. This one would have had a pan style seat, not a high back seat. I think you have the lifting bar for the mower deck hooked up wrong. It should bolt to the bottom of the lift arm and rest on the shaft, the upper hole should be free for attaching the lift rod for a blower or dozer blade. What kind of set up do you have for the rear hitch points? I don't think I've ever seen double sets of holes before... All in all, a very nice job.

Nice Job! I need to get going on mine. How did you got those tires so shiny? I pressure washed mine and scrubbed and then sprayed some black magic and they still look so-so.

GREAT JOB! I do agree with Kirk on the pan seat though(I am somewhat a traditionalist). What did you use for paint?

Very nice. I hope someday I'll be able to restore my 64. I'm also curious about what you used for paint. And, did you paint or find decals for the Simplicity and Landlord lettering? Nice job!!

Looks very good to me as well...I was hoping to finish my old Broadmoor this year but I have been so buisy with all the honey doo's that I didn't even touch the old tractors..Now its getting to cold for doing much of any painting so it looks like it will wait another season...

Looks like you did a very good job there! I know it takes a lot of work to get it done, took me a year for me. the only bad part is when you ding up your new paint job. also where you get the dash decal?

While the engine was being rebuilt (by a mechanic, which I'm not) I took the tractor and the mower deck down to the frame and rebuilt it. I do appreciate any constructive criticism since this is my first try at this and I put it back together the way I took it apart. The paint was determined when I went to AutoZone and found as close as I could get to the color; it's Duplicolor Chevy red/orange engine spray paint in a can. The pics look more red than it actually is. I had the decal set made from a company out of Michigan, but I don't remember the name right now. I knew about the seat, but just haven't gotten around to replacing it yet. I hope to do another one real soon, now that I had practice on this one. By the way, this 40 year old tractor has taken over as my first choice over my 2002 green one! I just bought a new snow blade from Ambler which I will redo, thanks Ambler.

After the engine died, it sat in my shed for a year, then it took me a year to complete it. There are two things I couldn't get, one was the foot pads (which I will do something with) and the other was the dash decal. If you look close, I painted the dash with silver paint, but if I could find a decal for it, I would put it on in a heartbeat. For anyone interrested in what it looked like before, there is one pic in my area, but I tried adding to this the other day and couldn't do it.

The foot pads are nothing more than rubber floor runner that you can get at any floooring/carpet store or hardware store. Then cut to shape and glue on.

Nice Job ! Have you done much mowing with it yet? As far as the foot pads.... I couldn't find any floor runner rubber in my area . I remember places having it in stock in the past , but none seems to be around here anymore. I got mine from Mcmaster Carr. Was very inexpensive. I traced the shape of the metal foot pad bracket on a manilla folder, then reduced it by 1/4" all the way around. Traced it onto the rubber material, cut them out with scissors and glued down. I made my own dash decal instead of buying a premade one . I went to one of the local sign shops, (Fast Signs, I think they are a chain) and bought a piece of black adhesive vinyl, same material as they make the decals out of , and cut it to fit in the recessed part of the dash... worked pretty good. Dave

If you feel like goig to the trouble of taking it apart and putting it back together, I have a dash with a good silver decal intact. It is from a 9 horse Landlord, sister to the early B-10. It would need the sides repainted though...

I think if you go to www.simpletractors.com and go to parts section>sources for decal>Well Implements...They have decal sets for the B series tractors including the dash decal..They will sell them by the peice or by the set... Note: I think I read the B series decals are backwards from the Simplicity one though (ie black on chrome Vs.chrome on black)but are the same shape and pattern... Also there was a guy that made up sets for the Simplicity last year that was selling decals...I have not seen him posting in a while and can't remember his name right now...I will post it here if I think of it...

As far as the foot pads are concerned, I replaced my rubber foot pads with a product I think is called "No-Skid". I bought it at the local hardware store. It is used on stair treads to prevent slipping. It has a rough sandpaper texture on an adhesive backing. I also used the same material on the clutch pedal. I no longer have any trouble with my feet slipping off the foot rests or the clutch pedal. I've had the same piece on for the last 10 years and it doesn't show any signs of peeling off. Just my $.02 worth.

Hi guys, I just wanted to thank you for all the comments, suggestions and ideas to better this project and improve my next one.:D John