Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler aftermarket parts & a few questions

B.Ikard

As a "new" 7012H owner I have a few questions for everybody: My K301 needs an overhaul and the prices on the Stens rebuild kits looks very good considering what Kohler wants for the OEM-are these parts worth considering or are they cheap junk? Like the recent thread here I am sure the bore looks like a funnel and crankpin resembels an egg....at least this has been my experience with the K and KT Kohler. A second option would be searching for a 14 or 16 hp Kohler to drop in/overhaul....I'm sure the extra power would be great. Would this be a drop in installation? I would really like to go with a 16 hp Briggs single but they are rare around here.... Last, I would like to join the club but have heard horror stories all over the internet about Paypal-considering going the mail route. Seems a few years back I investigated Paypal and they wanted your checking account number to sign up-made me a little nervous !!!!!!!!! Has anybody here had problems with Paypal? Thanks, Ike

Ike, As far as I have heard, the Strens kits work fine, just made overseas instead of by Kohler. A 14 or 16 Hp Kohler will drip in, so long as the oil pan and the flywheel bolts are the same. I know that Cub Cadet, and I think maybe John Deere and Ford, used a different block casting with a different oil pan that is made to drop down getween the frame rails. The Cadet also has a different bolt pattern for driveshaft hookup. You can sigh up with PayPal in either of two ways: A Credit Card number, or a Checking Account number. I know that with the credit card they will charge a small amount like $1.50 or so to the account, and the listing of the charge on your account voucher for that month will have your PayPal access number. This means that you will have to wait for your next credit card bill to come in, before you can use PayPal. I use PayPal regularly to buy tractor parts from ebay. No problems yet.

Thanks for the replies, I was concerned if there is a physical size difference between the 10-12-16hp Kohlers....more specifically crankshaft centerline and distance from mounting surface,etc so the drive shaft would bolt up correctly. I assume oil pans and flywheel drive couplings could be swapped as well as other accessories. If I am gonna spend the $$$ for an overhaul I was thinking of spending it on overhauling a 16 hp engine and be ahead in the game....just considering it at this point. I'm sure somebody here has done this. Are the Stens overhaul parts from China? Any long term reports on reliability and durability? I heard a rumor there can be a balance problem with the stens parts. Will check into Pay Pal Ike

Don't worry about crankshaft centerlines. As long as the engine crankshaft is parallel with the tranny shaft, and there is not too much of an upward relocation of the crankshaft, the flex couplings will take care of it. I am currently running a 10 Hp B/S engine on one tractor that came with a 16 Hp Kohler. I am also running a 14 Hp Kohler on a tractor that came with a 7 Hp B/S. No driveshaft problems on either. If it has a flat bottom oil pan with mounting ears at the bottom, it will bolt in. You just have to make sure that the oil drain is sitting in the right place. You may have to rotate the pan 180 degrees. The 7012 chassis is the same as a 7016 chassis. The parts book for a 1977 Simplicity 7016 is for both a 7010 and a 7016. Everything, except the engine, is exactly the same. Many people on the site have upgraded from 10s and 12s to the 16 Hp engines. Also, the B/S and Kohlers are interchangeable. At several times Simplicity was using B/S while AC was using Kohler, but the tractors were identical. None of my engines are original. I swap them as required. I have put piston rings in two B/S engines, but have not yet rebuilt a Kohler. Planning to do a 14 Hp soon. The block is bored .020 and have a new piston. Waiting on a crank and rod from a used engine. New parts are just too expensive.

I have heard lots of negative things about the aftermarket engine parts, Stens and Prime-Line, though I have never used them myself. I know of a machinist who overhauls lots of Kohler engines and he said the aftermarket parts don't last as long, and sometimes are the wrong size, rings that don't fit on the piston, etc.

Ike, I use paypal and have no problems, BUT, I don't spend more than I can aford to loose! Good Luck on your Briggs quest, if you find one I think you will like the extra power. Mouse,,, ;)