Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Source for chains

johnmonkey

I jsut bought a set from tirechains.com. They look good have not tried them yet. Their prices seemed to be the same as what chains are going for on ebay.

I have bought several sets off from Ebay from seller jimiss585. He usually has several sets and sizes on Ebay in several grades, 2 link, 4 link, standard cross chain, V-bar/ice-link/cross bar/reinforced cross chain, heavy-duty, extra heavy-duty hardend, 5/32", 3/16",,7/32", 1/4", 5/16" link sizes. If he doesn't have what you want on Ebay email him and he will make them up for you Here is one of the sets he has on right now. Xtra Heavy Duty 2 Link Garden Tractor Mud Snow Ice tire chains Size 23"x10.50"x12", 5/16" Welded side chain,3/8"welded Hardened twisted X-lines [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50372&item=4330185258&rd=1[/url] [img]http://i3.ebayimg.com/01/i/02/80/b1/4f_1.JPG[/img]

John, I only have one set now. I made them fit the 8.5 tires by cutting down a set of chains that I had for 15 inch truck wheels. I shortened the side chains and moved the links closer together. They seemed to work very well in the one 6 inch snow that we had last winter. I put them on the tractor with the snowblower. I have AG tires on the other tractor that I will have the blade mounted on. Don't need chains with those AG tires since they have been sharpened and angled for tractor pulling.

I bought a set of 2 link chains last year from Miller tire company they also Sell on ebay... they seem to be pretty good chains and I got a good deal on them...

MANARD I placed a bid on those chains, i was just trying to fix the origional set on my 3112h, i think i can limp out a little more on them but the ones in that link were cheap enough. My local shop wanted like 109 ish for a set and they were no where near as tough as the ones described in that post. thanks for the heads up

• 2 weeks later...
quote:
Originally posted by UCD
I have bought several sets off from Ebay from seller jimiss585. He usually has several sets and sizes on Ebay in several grades, 2 link, 4 link, standard cross chain, V-bar/ice-link/cross bar/reinforced cross chain, heavy-duty, extra heavy-duty hardend, 5/32", 3/16",,7/32", 1/4", 5/16" link sizes. If he doesn't have what you want on Ebay email him and he will make them up for you
What is meant by the sizes 5/32", 3/16", 7/32", 1/4", 5/16" link sizes? Are these the diameters of the wire used to form the chain? Do the cross links use the same wire diameter as the side links? I've got an old set for another set of tires and the cross links measure 0.210" to 0.215" which I assume would be close to the 7/32" (0.219") size seeing as to how they are a little rusted and worn. The side links measured 0.190" which would be close to the 3/16" (0.189") size. I've looked at a set of Peerless MaxTrac chains and I didn't have a set of calipers with me to measure the wire diameter, but they sure looked lightweight and the wire looked smaller diameter than the set I currently have. I'm looking for a set that would have 7/32" wire diameter links. I think that 1/4" diameter would be a little too heavy. I also don't want the V-bar ice links, since I use them on asphalt and concrete. I think that I need to specify standard cross chain, right? Maynard, Of the chains you purchased from seller jimiss585, what is the wire diameter of the cross and side links? And, are you aware of any web sites that specify what wire diameter they use for their chains?

That is the wire size of the cross chains and side chains. They are made up several ways, withe the same size wire in the side chains and cros chains and different sise side chain and cross chain. jimiss585 has several different size sets with different size wire in the side and cross chains I have bought 3 sets from him and they are all different For most applications a 5/32 side chain with a 3/16 or 7/23 cross chain should surfice. I like the 1/4 side chain with 5/16 cross chain with the HD ice bars. I can't afford to get stuck. Those that know me know why. I have put my tractor into places that if I got stuck I could not get out of the cab. I to blow and plow on Tar and Cement and have yet to mark it up. If there is enough ice to spin tires on with ice chains you are not going to mark the tar.