Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

pin hole in gas tank

landlord2110

after using gravel to eliminate rust from inside tank, it developed a pin hole. any ideas on how to repair?

It might look like a pinhole. The area around the hole could be much larger and very thin. You might use this: [url]http://motorcyclecity.com/Parts/tank-repair.htm[/url] To save you time order here J C Whitney: [url]http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10101&productId=19&TID=101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1[/url]

I've had sucess with pin holes using a sheet metal screw and a rubber washer/grommet either bought, or made from an old inner tube.

Simplicity314
Comet: use fuel line 0-rings rather than washers. The fuel will break down regular rubber over time. The best bet is to install a plastic gas tank to replace the metal one, unless it is a show machine, or you want to keep it original for some other reason. --Jim

The modern two-part epoxy putty works for fixing those leaks, I've seen it in auto parts stores for just a couple bucks.

I've always had success soldering pennies over pin holes. Of course I first flush the tank with water, and then smell it. I use an ELECTRIC soldering iron for the job. I first tin the area around the pin hole, and I also tin the penny. Just to be on the safe side, I always say a prayer before beginning.

Try Lab Metal. It can be found at most welding supply houses. I had great luck with it. It's the greatest thing since duct tape

Your local Autoparts place has a tank patch kit it will contain a pouch with some fiberglass resin,mat and Screen I have always had great sucess with these... or you can just use fiberglass like mowerman suggested..

Napa epoxy gas tank repair kit. Kit comes with bee's wax to plug a leaking hole, (on the vehicle with out draining tank) Fiber glass mat for large holes and 2 part epoxy. Epoxy comes in a pouch with the 2 parts separated with a separator bar. Just slide the two piece separator apart and mix the two parts thoroughly, cut a corner of the pouch and pour on area to be repaired. For small pin holes epoxy can just be poured on and spread out with the supplied brush, when hardened (about 10 min) it can be painted Price $8 - $10 depending on store. I used this kit in my garage for years and repaired 100's of gas tanks with it.

I had this exact same thing happen on my gas tank. As Bunky and UCD suggested, I bought one of the Gas Tank Repair kits and was able to cover the entire bottom of the tank. If your careful and smooth out the patch well, once it's painted it's not all that noticeable. Good Luck, Mike