Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electolux?

dav

A chap just stopped by to look at the VW pickup that I am selling. As we talked, he saw the AC's and the Sears tractors behind the Fiat and he started rambling about an Electrolux tractor that he has. Said he was probably going to junk it as he is in the process of cleaning out 30 years of stuff prior to moving south. I'm going to look at it tomorrow morning. I'd like to know something about them beforehand. All that I got from him so far is that it is a battery powered machine that had all sorts of attachments available, his has the fork truck lift. If anyone knows of this machine, I'd appreciate some info. I've seen some strange tractors at the shows but never a battery job.

I think they are the ones that built the Wheel Horse electrac electric tractors...I think I did a little research on them a long time ago for someone on one of the clubs...If I remember right I did a google search for Electrolux...You might give that a try... I bet someone here knows something about them too though

I think that the Wheel horse Eletric (Battery powered) was made by General Electric I would like to see this tractor he's talking about...

quote:
Originally posted by Bunky
I think that the Wheel horse Eletric (Battery powered) was made by General Electric I would like to see this tractor he's talking about...
Bunky your right,The Wheel Horse ones was GE's

Seems to me someone posted a pic of an Electrolux with some info a while back. Did a site search but can't seem to find it. Does anyone else remember it or am I going nutz?

Are we confusing terms here? Electrolux is the company that owns AYP, maker of Craftsman and Husqvarna ElecTrac was the name of the GE electric tractors

Well, I went and looked..but did not take It is a GE tractor and it has I-5 on the hood. This might be a model number or just the owners assigned number. It seemed to be in fairly good shape overall-not corroded from battery acid or rust and not beat up. Seemed to be all there. The fork truck attachment was off of it and also seemed to be it good condition. The forklift looked like it would tax the suspension on my Mitsu to the max! But I was warned by "she who must be obeyed" not to bring home anymore "junk"(sometimes they just don't understand!). And since the Enduro car is still in the side driveway, I decided discretion might be appropriate(okay I chickened out!) If anyone has an interest, and can come n get it, the tractor is in Exeter, NH and is free. He's moving. Soon. I could get and hold it for someone but only for a short time. AC, The VW is a diesel Rabbit, 1980. With the fuel prices being what they are, I'm thinking that it is somewhat foolish to sell a 40 plus mpg vehicle. If I do, thou, it will give me enough money to finish up the Rabbit convertible parked next to it. But with winter almost upon us, do I want to be driving a 35 plus mpg convertible? Such a dilemma!

Here's some links to info on GE ElecTracs > http://www.geocities.com/electraktractors/ http://www.elec-trak.org/ the OX > http://www.electrictractor.com/ and specifically the I-5> http://www.elec-trak.org/memorabilia/I5Brochure/index.html [img]http://www.elec-trak.org/memorabilia/I5Brochure/images/I-5pg2.jpg[/img]

The Batteries charge doesn't last a whole season you have to charge it periodicly, I have aguy up the road from me that has about 6 of these he charges them with solar cells and he says he can mow about 1 or So then he goes and get another he has one with a tiller and I think a snownblower.. He really likes them.. When I was a kid I had 3 or 4 dealerships trying to give me one of these and I never took them now they get a decent price for one of these..

I guess thouse go into the "good idea that didnt take off" file, any one remember the hovermow? Not sure if that was the name or not, it was a push mower that had no wheels. It was accually a hover craft. Kinda neat idea. Elon

Our local dealer used to sell the GE ElecTrac. He said they weren't the greatest sellers. Here is a picture of the GE ElecTrac all the way on the left with the front mount mower at our local dealer around 1974.

Dav: What's an "Enduro car", some kind of off-road rally car? What's it based on? Got pics? Just curious. Bigcountry: Does your tractor go all season on one tank of gas? :D Peter

quote:
Originally posted by bigcountry
I don't see how the batteries' charge could last for a whole season or how it could handle a front end loader.
I don't know anything about them, but I'd guess they probably used some HD linear actuators. Sized properly, electric motors are plenty powerful.

I'd guess one of the reasons electric tractors never became popular is because people aren't inclined to save their money. Suppose you work your tractor 1 hour today and you burn 1 gallon of gasoline. That's $2. You pay it. If you had an electric tractor, would you put that $2 in a piggy bank? If you work the tractor 50 hours per year, that's $100. After 5 years when the batteries need to be replaced, would you have the $500 saved up? There's no free lunch.

quote:
Originally posted by BigSix
Dav: What's an "Enduro car"
The enduro cars we have here in Michigan are stock cars that we run a lot of laps (300 laps at the Kalamzoo rack) for Big money...

I know that New Paris Speedway in Indiana had an Enduro about a month ago that paid $5000.00 to win. That's lots of cash! UCD, Not a thing. Sorry, I got carried away.

You can't HEAR an electric tractor run! I really enjoy the sound of the big iron engine running under the hood. Dan

I have two Elec Trak tractors. By comparison, my E15 by its name means it is equivalent to a 15 HP tractor and E12S is equivalent to a 12 HP. They were underrated by GE. If tied back to back against a gas tractor the electrics will out pull the equivalent gasoline tractor. Actually it will drag the gas powered tractors backwards. Maximum torque at 0 MPH OR 0 RPM. They are cheaper to run than a comparable gasoline or diesel tractor. An overnight charge on a 20 amp 120 volt circuit will cut 3 acres of grass. They have timers on the onboard chargers. They actually only charge for 6 hours on seasoned (old) batteries. Even IF the charger pulled the full 20 amps it can only use 14.4 Kilowatts. Our electric here on LI costs 13.6 cents per kilowatt for a total of $1.96 worth of electric used. I could measure its actual draw but why bother? It is definitely NOT drawing 20 amps. Lorraine enjoys pushing snow with the electric tractors. She won't go near the "stinking" gasoline powered tractors. She says that when she first saw me pushing the snow almost silently that it was "spooky". That's when she asked to drive it. I can plow snow 1 foot deep (I've done this) and clear my 320' driveway including parking areas. I then charge the tractor in anticipation of the next clearing. Most times I will plow when the snow is not so deep and I can run around in high gear. Batteries cost me $65 each times 6. They last a very long time if kept charged. Parts are nearly impossible to get. This is a recent calamity as the main (as in ONLY) supplier of parts is getting out of the business. The ELECTRICS are excruciatingly complicated. When something doesn't work you get nervous. I have full sets of shop manuals and being an electrical engineer would be helpful.