Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

12hp Kohler in 7012H

B.Ikard

Have another question concerning my "new" 7012H. Is there supposed to be a crescent shaped sheet metal cooling baffle that wraps around the back of the cylinder "jug" on the 12 hp Kohler engine? Have looked here and there on the net at K301 Kohlers but can not tell... There is a broken off bolt in a hole that looks like it might have secured a baffle at one point and time, perhaps somebody broke the bolt and tossed the baffle?? Am trying to decide whether to tear down this engine.....or try to find a 14-16hp to upgrade. Do have a lead on a low hour 16 "Magnum" at a decent price... Engine seems to operate as advertised and little/no blue exhaust smoke,plug reasonably clean, but has a LOT of blowby coming out of crankcase breather-so much I thought it was exhaust smoke. Has to be the most blowby I have ever seen from a single cylinder engine. Fumes are pretty bad from the seat...currently trying Marvel Mystery Oil to unstick rings (wishful thinking). I hear the 10-12-14 Kohlers are better than the 16 as far as long life,reliability,etc....any opinions? Mailed membership dues last Friday so hopefully will be squared away as a member soon. Ike

Welcome Ike, Just joined myself, GREAT club! I don't have alot of knowledge of engine or AC but I'm ready to learn. I do have a K241 Kohler engine, 16HP, in my Wheelhorse that I brought in 1977 and have not had a problem with the engine, just put on a starter. I cut 2 acres for 25 yrs. with it. Good luck with club and ask alot of question, so we all can learn something!

Ike, there should be a shield that wraps around jug area. It would be held in place by a 1/4 inch bolt. It covers the majority of two sides, all the way up to the head.

Thanks for the replies. I figured there was a baffle missing but was not sure. Most of the Kohler pics I can find don't have anything in place covering the PTO shaft side of the cylinder fins?? Need to scrounge one from somewhere or make my own. It being missing for ??? might be cause of the smoking problem. Used to work with Deutz/Hatz and other large air cooled engines and the vanes and baffles are there for a reason... Still undecided to go 16 or build what I have Ike

Brent, I checked my engines. Two have the shroud that you talked about. It goes to the middle of the cylinder directly above the crankshaft. Other two don't have a shroud, but they are parts engines and the shroud may have been removed.

maxtorman1234
No, I doubt it's the cause of the smoking. Some engines have the peice some don't. 1 of 8 of my kohlers have this sheild. It is in the case where the heat must be directed out that side. The others, it can go out the front. It is just an addon to direct the heat in another direction on certain machines.

quote:
Originally posted by maxtorman1234
No, I doubt it's the cause of the smoking. Some engines have the peice some don't. 1 of 8 of my kohlers have this sheild. It is in the case where the heat must be directed out that side. The others, it can go out the front. It is just an addon to direct the heat in another direction on certain machines.
I figured the missing ? baffle and lack of cooling would cause the rear of the cylinder to reach higher than designed temps leading to increased wear,damage, etc leading to smoking. Most air cooled engines I have seen surround the cylinder with baffles and warn of removing any... Anybody with a 7012/712 know what was bolted to the back of the block in the cylinder fin area? Muffler shield or bracket? Ike