Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MF hydro

ReedS

I recieved this the followimg question from a regestered user via e-mail tonight;
quote:
I have MF rear engine rider. A local dealer changed the belt for my Hydro and checked the fluid level,I lose speed going up hills, engine speed and blades are find. Should I try a transmission conditioner or buy a rebuilt hydro? Thanks Jeff
Jeff I'm no expert on a lot of things this included, that said I'd suggest checking the basics before condemning the hydro unit. Also given the lack of given information on your particular model I'd be able to only give you some general suggestions as follows: 1) Check that "new" belt for slippage, 2)check the hydro fliud for level, proper application and/or possible contamination ie: water,metal chips dirt etc. 3) If the hydro has a filter I'd change it along with the fluid. Finally after doing the preceding I'd look at the hydro unit itself. Now I'll also throw this out to the rest of the club and just maybe we can all help this gentlemen out with his problem.:)

I had the same problem witha few of my Broadmoors. It just turn out to be the belt not on the pulley and truning on the shaft. Elon

Don't forget to check all linkage controlling hydro. On 900 series AC's I have seen erratic speeds caused by wear in control arm under chassis. Same could hold true for other hydros.