Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tractor Scrappers

Mike

I have been meaning to ask some of you guys that part out tractors, what you do with all the rotten tires you end up with? I am only dealing with a couple tractors and can't keep throwing tires in the trash. Mike

quote:
Originally posted by Mike
I have been meaning to ask some of you guys that part out tractors, what you do with all the rotten tires you end up with? I am only dealing with a couple tractors and can't keep throwing tires in the trash. Mike
Why not?

Have been taking tires,batteries,used oil and old paint to the hazardous waste/recycle day sponsered by the county in the spring the last couple of years here in Ohio.

Our town has "dump day" every week on Wed., but you have to bring the stuff to the town garage. They have dumpsters for metal, bulky waste, burnables, and also recycling of oil, batteries, CFC devices(air conditioners, refrigerators, freezers), computers/TVs, etc. and brush composting. There is a tire burning waste-to-energy plant a few towns over and a trash-to-energy plant too. I think the tires go into the burnable dumpster, but they have to be off the rims.

During the summer I can take my tires down to the county transfer station and get rid of them for free. They sponsor a program to prevent West Nile. During the other months I would have to pay 2.00 per tire to dispose of them. They also have a twice a year program where you can take all your hazardous materials to the County airport and get rid of the items Kirk mentioned above free of charge, except for refrigerators & freezers. I usually take them to the scrap yard and dispose of them for nothing.

Now if you were my dad (87 years old), he would tell the stories about how they would burn them in the furnace. This was in Chicago. No wonder the air was quite polluted back then.

Try asking around at the local tire dealers and see if theres a place you can dispose of them , or sometimes you can pay the dealers to dispose of them when they get rid of theirs. Doesn't hurt to ask. Other than that alot of counties have tire reclamation days each year as indicated above. Mine does here.

We have a tire recycler her in centeral Illinois. They pay for used tires and tube. They cut the tire up and shread it into playground type mulch. Thats the side walls mostly, of raidials the steel belts they have tried to shread and mix it with the coal burning plants around but i dont think it has worked out so well. I know for a fact it was mixed about 10 to 15 % shreaded tire to the power plant whrer i use to work and they had to repaint 4 cars and replace 6 roofs. The steel from the belts blow out the stack and caused a lot of problems. They have also tried to mix the shreaded steel belts with assfalt and used it on the sholder of a lot of roads as a test in Illinois. You buy a new set of tires today and they charge you $2 per tire for recycling fees. This goes to a guy how then get a couple of bucks a tire again at the recycler. A friend of mine is not doing to bad at tire recycling.