Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Carb ID

GWGAllisfan

Does anyone know what the difference is between a Briggs 391074 carb and a briggs 392587? The look the same in the picture and both are identified as for a 10 horse, but there is a huge price difference.

I assume that these are the carbs for the horizontal shaft cast iron engines. I don't have anything to look the numbers up in right now. There were two different carbs used on the 10 Hp engines, the medium size updraft carb with three screws holding the fuel bowl onto the carb, and the large size carb with four screws holding the fuel bowl onto the carb. The air cleaners on both these carbs are different and must match the carb. I think also that the mounting bolts have different spacings on the two carbs. If you have the entire manifold/carb/air cleaner/governor rod assembly then they can be interchanged. The most noticeable difference between the carbs is that the elbow that turns up to the air cleaner is part of the air cleaner on the medium size(three bolt) carb, but it is part of the carb on the large size (four bolt) carb. As of now, I have no reference material here at work to relate a part number to each of these carbs, I currently have two different engines that came from the factory with the large carbs, a 10Hp and a 13Hp, that now have the medium size carb setups on them.

Rod, as far as I know the three screw carbs were on the Model 19 and 23 engines while the 10 horse and up used the four screw carbs. One thing that may be different is that the older ones had the seperate breather and didn't have the hole for the breather tube found on the newer carbs...

I recently bought a carb from a B10 that bolted directly to my 12 HP B/S. It was a medium sized 3 bolt. The 243431, 10 Hp that I have came with the large 4 bolt carb. I am also running a 3 bolt on that one from an 7 1/2, but the manifold from that one didn't originally fit the 10 Hp. I assumed the B10 was a 10 Hp. From what I have heard others say on the site, I assumed that the 10 Hp engines came with both types.

Both of these part numbers I was asking about are 4 bolt, with the air cleaner/breather assembly built in. I'm just wondering why the huge price difference if it would work. I wish I could find a reference that would give part number and what engine it fits. Every reference I have found has been parts look-up by engine, instead of engine look-up by part....

Randy, I had the carb that I once removed from my 243431 B/S and was going to use it on a 13 Hp B/S. It was not running good so I bought a kit from ebay. The kit was for a newer carb. The emulsion tube that came with the new kit was too large in diameter. The float needle in the newer carb apparently has a removable seat, while the one I had didn't. Most of the hardware did not fit correctly. The gaskets did, however, fit pretty well. After I turned down the diameter of the emulsion tube (somehow lost the one I originally removed), replaced the gaskets and needle valves, still couldn't get this carb to stop leaking. Tore it apart four times, with no success. Finally determined that my float was sinking. Float did not come with the kit. I then replaced the 4 bolt with a 3 bolt carb from a B10, that bolted directly to the engine. Had to remodel the governor link. Engine now runs fine. Been mowing my lawn with it. Sorry, but I don't know which number is for which carb. How old is your engine? This may determine which part number you need. Mine was early 60s and it needed old style kit. Unfortunately I bought new style kit. There are a several people who know quite a bit more about these carbs than I do. Here is the post where I was asking for advice: http://simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=33940

• 2 weeks later...
I read all this and and the links as well, including the precise engine repair site. I will be attempting to rebuild my current carb, But if anyone knows what a 392587 is meant for I would like to know. It wouldn't really matter, but a new 391074 is $150 or so and Cheapmowerparts.Com has the 392587 for about $70. I'm kinda cheap so it is tempting. Thank all of you for your help. I have been amazed at how willing to offer help everyone has been.