Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fall Garden Tilling

rs07

Finally found some time yesterday to replace the tines on my 36" tiller that goes on my A-C 916H. Wow, what a difference in tilling than the old worn down tines! Didn't plant anything this year, so needless to say the ground was pretty rough. I tilled my entire garden to get ready for the next growing season next spring.

Plant some bulbs in the garden then you have a start for a good looking garden! Take some pictures of before & after would be nice! Were the old tines hard to remove?

The entire replacement job wasn't too bad. I replaced the blades themselves, not the hubs. I think the hubs might fight trying to take them off. I probably would have to heat them up alittle. The bolts that hold the blades to the hubs were alittle rusty, so I sprayed them down the day before, with some "PB Blaster". That is great stuff. Then yesterday I put an impact wrench to them and had no problems.

I'm happy now that I have my 32'' running again after me and my dad rebuilt it. They beat walking behind that 17'' anyday, especially in about a mid/large sized garden

I shapened my blades about a month ago. Everything came apart pretty easy. And this is a 32" two belt tiller. I talked to original owner and he don't remember doing anything. Anyway, it took about three hours between a couple of beers and smokin' some brats.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris727
BLT, why would you need to sharpen the tiller tines? Aren't they self sharpening?
Nada, no & never. If they were, I would invent a way to use my mower blades on the tiller.|)|)