Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

97-98 sovereign

JB3212v

I found a 97 or 98 sovereign on the internet at a JD dealer this weekend. Has no power steering but has a 48" deck and a snowblower for $2750. It also has the OHC engine in it is a few hours away from me do you think it is worth checking out. Just how long do these ohc engines hold out before a replacement is needed?

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
My OHC engine lasted 105 hours.
That's about the average life span for those engines. The price is not too bad if the tractor itself is in decent shape. I still would try to dicker alittle if possible. If you decide to buy the tractor you may want to consider one of Al Eden's Repower Kits, designed just for this tractor, if you start having problems. Al is a Simplicity dealer and is also a member of this club. His repower website link is below. http://www.edensltd.com/repowereng/default.htm

My OHC engine has 62hours on it and i am experiencing the same/similar problems that roy and some other members have. I am in the process of expressing my dis-satisfaction with the dilema. I would Definitely try to bicker on the price, firstly a JD dealer probably dosent want "orange" hanging around. Try barganing just bear in mind that you could dump another 2k if you need to re-power down the road. heck try printing out info on these topics and bring it with you mabee the dealer will want to unload it. If you do buy it and down the road need to repower, I can't say enough about how Helpful,and Freindly Al Eden is, I am used to dealing with folks from the Boston area so when a total stranger took 30 -40 minutes on the phone to help me I was truley shocked. If you could get that machine for 1,800 to 2k ish depending on the condition of the blower and the rest of the machine I would think that would be "resonable" if all else is ok. Good luck with it! GO -SOX~~~~~!!!!! :D

Can anyone tell me who has any sort of bacr round with the 9020 I have a few questions It would realy help if some one could tell me where to find bell housing gasket for it mine are starting to leak

Thats too bad that an engine would be going to crap that soon Roma and Roy especially with that few of hours on them. They would be hardly broken in by then.Well I got some pictures and an email reply from the dealer today.It looks a little faded with a little bit of surface rust on the discharge side of the deck. But he claims their are no engine problems on this machine. It came off of a 2 acre local estate and we estimated about 50 hours a year usage so probably 300 hrs minimum I would guess. I think the price is reasonable compared to the other one I'm looking at right now. It has the command engine with some minor oil leaks test drove it and the hydro creeps a little in neutral after warming up. Was owned by a church so it could have lots of hours on it. They want $3200 tax included with a almost new tiller and thats their bottom dollar. Does anyone know if Tennies has any Sovereigns left. I seen they had a fall closeout sale a few months back saying thay had some but I was unable to make it and don't know where they keep their used machines. Its too bad simplicity didn't leave well enough alone and stay with the command engine till the end or at least go with a proven liquid cooled kawi engine if they wanted to change something it would make my decision a whole lot easier but I guess hindsight is always 20/20.

JB, I think the others had the triad motor that Kohler tried for a couple of years. Kohler was replacing them with commands even under warrenty with the kit from edens. I have not heard of problems with the command engines.

JB JMHO i think they may want a little too much, if you are talkig a cash deal i would think they could do low 2's but i could be way off base i am sure sombody like sam could give you a better idea on the value of this machine as it is. As far as this tractor If the engine is an OHC overhead cam as you described in your first post then i do not believe it is a "command" as you describe in your last post. The OHC is a "triad" motor, and that motor is the one that gives all the problems. If that tractor indeed has a command engine on it then you are in good shape because the triad engines that grenade are being replaced with command engines. i would still tru to bicker on the price for sure but i would not be afraid of a command engine if that is what is indeed on the tractor. To be sure you would have to read the model tag on the powerplant. take care john

John the tractor I'm talking about in the first post does have a triad motor in it the dealer sent me pictures of the motor and I know it is not a command in it.Thats the one they want for $2750 with snowblower. I am also looking at an early 90's sovereign at a local dealer that has a command in it for $3200 with tiller . I am not afraid of the command engine because we have on in our 2185 cub cadet with over 550 trouble free hrs on it. I have not tried to dicker the deal with the triad powered machine yet but they only want to sell the machine as a package with the snowblower which I really don't need. I will email him tonight with lower offer. Or I might be better off finding the pulley setup for my 3212v and just buy the tiller my local dealer has and running it on my 3212 but I would think that it would be hard to find as my 3212 doesn't have a cone clutch. What is neede to run a newer tiller on this older model it already has a rear manually operated lift on it. This would be cheaper than having another tractor to take care of and I'd know what I would have.