Over the years I have had the best service using Gates
green Power Drive belts for the main drive and accessory
drive on my B-1. I think the long mower deck belt I
use is an OEM belt. Biggest problem with the green
Gates belts is finding them where I am located. My 2
cents worth.
Roy

StanS
All, when I bought my tiller several years ago the drive belt that came with it had a gash in it that went all the way through the v to the outside plies. I put it on anyway just to try the tiller and now have used it for 2 years tilling the garden. Can't kill an OEM drive belt. Tim

Floydster
I may as well tell my belt story. I have been using
both the drive belt and the deck belt on my 620AC for
17 yrs. and they where used when I bought the tractor.
I believe they could be the origial OEM belts. They
still look good---- there, my belt story. Floydster

Kent
Here is my story against OEM belts. My HB212 has the double v drive for the mower deck. The tractor is a 1970 I purchased it in 1980 with no mower belt. I went to the AC dealer paid $52 for the double v belt and it lasted less than 1 hr. I then installed two automotive fan belts ($3 ea.) that ran about 6 years and replace with the same. Now it is 1992 and I try the double v OEM belt ($72) --shredded in 20 min.! Back to the two cheap ($3.50 ea.) auto belts and they are still running since '92. I mow about 4 acres. My tiller belts are all original!! But they do not see many hours. The original hydrostat belt lasted 23 years.

-MS-

Kent
MS,I only advocate the paying the high price of OEM belts for the drive belts, I found the auto or hardware belts would smoke out under a hard pull. I have had hardware store belts on my mower for several years including the long belt that turns the spindals. Much less expensive and made just as good as far as I can tell. I also have hardware store belts on the starter/generator and hydraulic pump, no problems with either. Tiller belts are all OEM that came with the tiller. You can SEE the differance in an OEM drive Belt and a hardware store belt, but the other belts I mentioned look the same, hardware store or OEM. If it works, use it. Tim

John_RI
My dad has a Simplicity tiller that he bought in 1971, and for a long time, the belt was frayed and looked like it would break any second. Finally, after using it this way for a few years, Dad couldn't take it any more, and put the new belt on. Within a couple hours, the new belt looked like the old one, but it still never broke.

Sorry to hear about that Mike - that would really make me mad also - something is definetly not right. I wonder though if you were given the correct belt? There are TWO different double V belts (at least in the Simp line) and yes they are expensive and yes I have used two single belts also, but I have also installed the OEM on a regularly serviced AC and it is fine. Did your dealer actually look them up to verify - just a thought because something definetly is wrong.

Jeff I agree! As an engineer I know that it should work if everything is lined up. I believe I had the correct belts (judging the belt tension). The belts were purchased from two different dealers. The double v belts immediately got hot (maybe the half twist with a stiff belt caused this). But I can't argue with the success of the two singles (they should be more critical for line up and tension).

How come some tractors came with the double v and some came with the single belt? The two tractors I have with the jack shaft (pre cone clutch) both use the double v. But looking at dozens of these vintage of tractors I have only seen one other with the double v. This is with both 42" and 48" decks.

Fred
Jeff, Mike, I've worked on a number of old AC and Simplicity tractors and decks and have never seen a double belt drive. Also there is no mention of it in the B series attachment guide. How common are these and on what tractor models. Tim

Fred
The double V was only used for a few years - at least with Simplicity. I don't know why - maybe to try something new. Probably discontinued due to cost or material advancement or maybe decided it wasn't really needed. AC actually had 3 different cross-drive belts listed.