Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Has this ever been attempted! (or am I just crazy)

PeppyDan

What I'm talking about is taking the front stamping from the hood with the sqaure headlights

and the rear sheetmetal & side panels from the 917 hood

to make a newer style hood for my honda repowered tractor. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=35976 I plan to locate and drill out (with a spot weld drill for automotive applications)all the spot welds used to hold the sheetmetal together. Then simply clamp it back together with the changed parts and weld the spot welds back together! Have I gone totally MAD wanting chop up two perfectlly good hoods just to make one that looks like a newer one??? Dan

Dan, I see no reason why your idea wouldn't work. By the way, the 700 series ACs in the mid 70s had those type of lights. Your 917 is newer than that. Here is a picture of the grill on my AC713S:

I see the grill you are planning to use has more metal around the lights, the lights are closer together, and the mesh area is smaller. Make sure that the extra metal doesn't block any of the airflow out of the engine. It gets very hot under these hoods.

Is that the air filter i see sticking out on the right? Is that stock ? I like that, do you have a side pic of that. Dan, I like that idea, i'd start cutting.

Guess I missed your repowering post earlier, you got a fine looking tractor being born in the linked photos. Personnelly, I like the 917 hood better as is,but I have no dout your able to do the switch.

Dan, I don't think your crazy. But I would ask a few questions. 1) If you just want the rectangle headlamps for a newer look, why not just get a later model hood? It will bolt right on and you will have your two old hoods to sell. 2) Since you are capable of doing the bodywork, why not install really modern hi-tech units with a unique look? 3) Do you share my opinion that the round sealed beams are more efficient and long lasting then the rectangular reflector / bulb lamps? [img]/club2/attach/dutch/sovereign2.jpg[/img]

I agree with Dutch. Why cut up two good hoods? I've noticed the round bulbs are much brighter than the lights on my AC710 which has the square ones. Isn't the hood with the square lights you have there off something more like a 6216 or a regent style machine, could the two hoods have slightly different dimensions?

Hi, I would cut a poster board template to check the curve of the top and see if you head off any problems. I think the reason the round headlights came on the scene is that these sealed beams are brighter than the bulb type square lights and they don't get dirt inside them. You are not crazy, its your tractor and you should do whatever turns YOU on. Good luck, Al Eden

The two hoods use an identical size nose section. I checked this by holding one up to the other and also measuring the various dimentions. The sealed beams are brighter than the older 700 series sqaure lights, but I assume that the newer sqaure lights would be as good or better than the round ones. I don't know what this hood came from and it's just setting around in my barn. I don't know where to find a newer hood with the sqaure headlights or I would use it instead of all this work. Does anyone have a hood they would be willing to trade of these two hoods? Dan

Dan, I just looked at my 7116 (same as 916) hood tonight. I think it would be easier to weld a solid plate over the entire light area covering the round lights, then cut new holes and install the square lights.

HubbardRA, I've considered doing something similar to what you are suggesting, by just using a plasma cutter and cutting the round holes to a rectanglular hole then add in patches as needed. The difficulty I see with this is warpage during welding . The difficulty I see with doing it the way you suggest is getting into the corners to smooth the welds and making it look factory perfect inside and out. I don't want to use any bondo, fiberglass, etc... Don't get me wrong, it can be done but that takes alot of time. I have done a little "leading" which may be a good way to get the corners but I'm thinking it would be faster and give as good of results by changing the nose. Do the headlights on the newer (square lights)hoods give out comparable light against the round sealed beams? This is a concern also but not quite as important to me since this tractor only has a 3 amp charging system, I don't plan to use lights very much. I plan to use/show this tractor once completed. Thanks for the input. Dan

The headlamp area on your hood is recessed. If you have a plasma cutter, why not just cut a panel to fit snuggly into that recess and hold it in place with stainless screws, or even adhesive? In fact, I'd use stainless or aluminum for the panel. At the most you would have minimal sanding on the edges. The new rectangular lamps are the same as the old (low efficency). That's why I suggested going with something hi-tech.

Dutch, that's something I hadn't really thought of. This would be very simalar to what HubbardRA suggested only no welding or bodywork. I could use a button head screw and possiably make them appear to be holding the headlights in place. That would make it look like factory, at least from the outside. The lights I definatly will go something stock, gotta watch those watts!! Dan

Dan, Do you want a polished aluminum panel? I have some of the thin aluminum material that is used to make the plates attached to trophies. I think I have a large enough piece to cut out a filler plate. I made a plate to cover the dash section and eliminate the amp meter hole on my AC 713S. I replaced the original mounting screws for the dash panel with stainless steel screws also when I mounted the plate. PM me if you are interested. Here is a picture of the plate I made for my dash:

HubbardRa, that looks good. Isn't it nice to have access to tools & material needed to do "repairs" like that. Thanks for the offer, but I also have access to the various materials( even some stainless steel) if I want. I shouldn't say this but, the problem with having so much access, it gives you more ideas and more things to "repair". Most things would be good enough if you didn't have everything so easy to get! I'm still not sure what I will do about the hoods. I'm thinking I will see how easy the square light hood comes apart. I have no use for this hood. I picked it up at the local junkyard a few years ago with this very intent in mind. If I destroy it in the process then I will know better next time. Dan

Dan, If you are going to change the grille sections, then I would suggest grinding off the welds from the hood section of the one with grille you want, then grinding off the grille section of the hood you are using. This way you can preserve the full metal interface just like it was at the factory. I would then drill holes in the hood flange, assemble the grill section onto the hood and then fill the holes with weld. This way, the new grille will remain totally intact and need no filling of any type after welding.