Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Deck Cable Length

Roy

Could someone please give me the length of the mower deck lift cable for a 7013-S. The cable on my tractor has been fixed with cable clamps but I would like to fix or replace the cable. Thanks,

UCD, Glad to know they are still available but am thinking of making one for a greatly reduced cost. 3/16" dia. cable is $0.19 per foot and two crimp ferrules are $1.15 at the local PRO Hardware. Graham, Thank you of the dimension.

Roy, We often shorten these cables to raise the mower some. Don't shorten it to much or the deck rubs the belt. Also if you shorten it don't run the mower with the deck raised, which Simplicity says not to any way or it shortens the deck drive belt life. We take a 1" piece of 3/8 rod and drill a hole through it. (we use a lathe) We then tape the cable to hold the strands and cut the cable with an air abrasive cut off wheel. Then we bevel the strands on a grinder. After inserting the cable we crimp the rod with a crimp tool. You can also do it using a V block or a heavy vise with the jaws open about 3/16" and a center punch and a heavy hammer. Punch is 3 places on each of 3 sides. It certainly makes is nicer to use the tractor when not mowing having the mower higher. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden