Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow plow Hitches???

Bunky

I'm thinking of making a couple of Snowplow hitches for mowerman and I. What do you think of making them with 1" square tubing 1/4in. thick?? I think it would look nice and should be as strong..

Are you sure that you can get 1/4 inch thickness in a 1 inch box section? It will work fine if you can get it. Angle iron is cheaper, and in my opinion, is easier to work with. The only one inch box tubing that I have worked with was 1/16 wall thickness. It is much harder to keep a structure square when working with the tubing, because of the need to weld all four sides. It must be clamped down rigidly or the assembly will warp during welding. I know. I built a ladder frame for a modified pulling tractor out of the one inch box beam material. I had to plan the sequence of the welds to make sure the frame stayed straight. It still warped some, because I made a weld in the wrong direction while installing a crossmember. You must either clamp the pieces to something to keep them from moving, or do a lot of small tack welds prior to doing the full welds. Make sure a weld on the left side is made in the same direction as the mirror weld on the right side. Welds always try to push the pieces apart from the start to the finish. Good luck!

Bunky, tube would make a very nice hitch the problem with 1 sq. is the lenght of the weld where you attach the ears for mounting to the tractor and where the pivot mounts. These are the weak points on a hitch. You might try 1-1/2 or 1-1/4 x 3/4 rect. tube in order to get more weld length. 1 inch tube is hard to get more than 3/4 inch of good weld on due to the radius of the tube. Good Luck John Holcomb

Well I got to planning a hitch out lastnight and the problem i camw acrossed was how to bend the square tubing??? So I'm probably gonna have to build them out of flat stock..

Bunky, I'm having a hard time figuring what you would need to bend. I thought side bars of the hitch were straight, then you need the plow mount on the front end and the axle mounts on the rear end. Where do you need to bend the box tubing?

Bunky, couldn't just angle your sides from the tractor points to the blade points. That is how the originals are I think.

Those bends do not have to be there. As long as the mounting brackets for the axle are sitting square, the box can still be at an angle. If I were fabricating the hitch, there would be no bends in it. Sides would be straight and I would take care of alignment at the ends only.

Those bends could be made by cutting out a sliver or "pie wedge" from the inside of the end that needs to be bent inward(tractor end) and from the outside of the end that needs to be bent outward(plow end). Then just weld up the cut. You would only need to cut three sides of the box tubing and leave one side intact. If you used angle iron, you would only need to cut one side of it to do the same thing.

With the degree of those bends, if made gradual, you can, using the 3/16 wall, heat and bend them. The stretch on the outside, heated side, shouldn't be enough to cause significant weakening. ;)IMO