Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Axle yoke wear

DaleC

I have dissasimbled the Big Ten for some repair and paint. I found that the end of the front axle yoke that goes through the angle iron bracket is worn badly. I was going to build it up, turn the angle iron over and drill a new hole. Am I missing anything repairing it this way?

Some models had a collar on backside for more surface area. I have welded a collar on some of mine for same reason.

powerking_one
Dale, Check out the links below from the archives. Also, Kent moved a thread I had written up regarding spindle and axel mods over to the tech tips section (I think). BTW, the kingpin axel pivot needle bearing upgrade I mentioned in "country"'s thread worked out great. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=17135&SearchTerms=axel http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=10303&whichpage=2&SearchTerms=axel Tom(PK)

I have run in to the same problem on our Big Ten. I am planning on replacing the front axle with one from a later B210 that has the beefier rear support. With no way to greas it is bound to wear. Take care,Matt

Dale, When I had the yoke repaired on my Landlord by the welder he told me to put a brass bushing in the hole. This way the bushing would wear down and not the rod. Just had to enlarge the hole for the bushing instead of turning it around and using the other side

I thought about using an old brass or actually bronze automotive pilot bearing. There are some applications that require a long bearing and I thought I would just hunt till I found one and then drill and tape it for an almite. Of Course, when you compare the wear to 36 years of mowing, it really is not all that bad. A simple bushing would probably make it last my life time.

I take it that the modifications are to country's 917. I think it has bushings for the front axles. The big ten has automotive style tapered roller bearings on the axles. I see that the bronze bushing I idea has already been used on the yoke repair for the 917 as well. Excellent stuff.