Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tractor runs poorly while blowing snow

mb

I have a 7117 that runs like a bear 8 months of the year. It mows 3 acres from spring through fall without missing a beat. It is used with a vacuum collector in the fall to collect leaves all fall without a miss. In the winter I use it to snow blow my 100' driveway and it runs terrible. It starts up and blows snow for about 20 minutes and then it starts to spit and sputter so bad I have to park it and finish the driveway with my walk behind blower. Last winter I wrapped the carburetor with aluminum foil and it seemed to help a little but would still start spitting after about a half hour. Does anyone have any idea why my tractor is acting this way ? I an not sure if it is the cold air, or the melting snow that is coming into contact with the engine that is causing this. Any comments, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Sounds to me like the carb is icing up. Seeing as the tin foil helped, maybe you just need to improve on carb protection. Does it smoke black when it starts acting up? That be a sign its flooding. Looking in the oppisite direction, I normally have to turn my carb 1/8th to 1/4 turn richer when running in the cold.

Sounds like you need a winterizer kit for it...Its a metal sheild to shield the carb from all the snow and ice and also brings a little heat from the motor to the cab to help prevent that...I have also heard that on the twin cylinder motors that sometimes one of the coil/plug wires get a worn spot or where a mouse may have chewed it and in the damp weather they will spit/sputter as one cylinder is not getting a good spark...

You Could Also Try Putting Some Iso-Heet In With The Gas I had a Similar Problem on a walk behind blower and that Helped.

If memory serves me at all, winterizer kit also included air cleaner cover change. In winter use the cover was spun towards rear of engine, where elbow from air cleaner cover stuck down into shroud around flywheel. This would supply snow free air, and it may have been warmer air also. Engine or Simplicity dealer may still have this info. I may be able to get pictures from my dad's 917, but I am not digitized yet.

I'd start by checking two things. 1) The air filter may be getting moist and freezing up. Remove the filter element and try it. You don't really need the filter in the snow anyway. 2) Probably a wet ignition problem. Check wires carefully. Degrease spark plug ceramic. Spray with silicone.

Hi, Kohler made a winterizing kit for the KT engines. It was standard on Ariens tractors. The air cleaner has a long snorkel that went out and down. Over the manifold on one side of the engine was a little stove. A box with a hole in the top that the snorkel fit in. It draws up air around the manifold into the snorkel to the air cleaner. In the Summer you rotate the air cleaner 90 degrees and the snorkel pick up air at the flywheel end of the engine. I am at the house and don't know if this kit is still available for these engines. We just shipped Tim Nahrwold a winterizing kit for his Command. I know these work well and are needed if you run the Commands with a blower. Also as I remember Simplicity I believe used to have a plate thay you put under the openings on the top of the hood to trap a little muffler heat and stop snow from coming in from the top. Listening to your symptoms, I suspect some type of stove set up would fix your problem. A stove is easy to make using a little piece of steel tubing and a there is flexible aluminum tubing for auto applications that can be tapped into the air cleaner covers. I have a stove that Simplicity made in my office and I will try to find it. (Kent you have seen my office, you know what an undertaking that will be.) I need a skid loader to dig through that pile. When I find it I will take a pic and show how it works on the pipes from the head to muffler. My 2 cents worth and its free value accordingly. Al Eden

AL reading your post here got me to thinking that I may need a winterizing kit for the command engine that simplicity is sending for my re-power. Do you think that one is needed for that application (sovereign) if so what is involved in the kit installation, and how much is it. ps the TH18 had no problems with the blower in the winter, is it because the command is a different animal? Thanks again for all the help with my re-power. john b

You probably need to make carb adjustments for the cold weather. Also make a heat shield that will provide warmer air to the carb to prevent carb icing & keep the linkages warm enough & protected so that blowing snow & condensation do not freeze on then & prevent them from working properly. I made a crude but effective shield from light weight flashing material & it helped greatly.

Does you KT17 have the rubber tube running from the flywheel/blower housing into the air cleaner housing? The air cleaner housing is triangular in shape (the later air cleaners are round). If so, the easy fix is to disconnect this rubber tube (save it for summer) and put a piece of tape across the flywheel housing opening (do not close off the opening into the air cleaner). I have found that this does the trick. If it does not you will need the winterizer kit as Al talked about. I assume that this will require a whole new air cleaner assembly (the newer round style). If you have the round style air cleaner already then you can make something as Al suggested with a way to draw air across the exhaust manifold (the kits drew the air across the right side manifold). PS - I have not had any problems with the hood openings but maybe a piece of magnetic sign layed over the hood vents will seal them off.

quote:
Originally posted by roma3112
AL reading your post here got me to thinking that I may need a winterizing kit for the command engine that simplicity is sending for my re-power. Do you think that one is needed for that application (sovereign) if so what is involved in the kit installation, and how much is it. ps the TH18 had no problems with the blower in the winter, is it because the command is a different animal? Thanks again for all the help with my re-power. john b
FWIW, I've never had any problems with either of my OEM Command Sovereigns working in the snow and snowthrowing. What I would recommend before installing the Command would be to install the optional removeable shrouds if it doesn't already have them. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/st1.jpg[/img]

Dutch, Does Kohler have the clean-out kits for Commands in addition to the Triad OHC's???? Seems like the Command does not not suck near as much junk in as the Triad did. Thanks,

quote:
Originally posted by Roy
Dutch, Does Kohler have the clean-out kits for Commands in addition to the Triad OHC's???? Seems like the Command does not not suck near as much junk in as the Triad did. Thanks,
Kohler does make clean out kits for the Command. 25-755-20-S Black 25-755-21-S Zinc Kohler also offers for the Command. 24-755-14-S Air Duct 24-096-17-S Plugs 24-096-85-S Plugs The Command doesn't suck in junk? When I use mine like this, I service the air cleaner once an hour........... and it needs it. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/work.jpg[/img]

Dutch, Thanks for the information. Per my comments below, I really did not think the Command would need the clean outs. Per Dutch:
quote:
The Command doesn't suck in junk?
Per Roy:
quote:
Seems like the Command does not suck near as much junk in as the Triad did.
The key words in my statement were "near as much". Yes, it sucks junk in but the volume is much less than the Triad sucked in. My experience,

Dutch where did you find that seat for your tractor looks like its comfy and will fit on my AC 914? By the way yours looks like a 914 also. Ken

quote:
Originally posted by KVANDY12
Dutch where did you find that seat for your tractor looks like its comfy and will fit on my AC 914? By the way yours looks like a 914 also. Ken
That's a 1996 Sovereign with an OEM seat. Except for engines and decals, the LFGTs didn't change much from 1980 thru 2000. That seat would fit your 914.

John, I have seen some problems with the Commands in cold weather. They will run and die, set a while and start and run again for a little while. Winterizing kit fixes them. Just shipped one to Tim Nahrwold for his new Command in his Sovereign. Al Eden

Al, I went to my local simplicity dealer with the winterizing kit sketch posted above and they said the part was no longer available. I have a Kohler kt17s in a simplicity 7117 tractor. Does anyone know if these are available as an after market part anywhere?