Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cab-??

D-17_Dave

Those of you with cabs, what do you find are the benifits and what about them do you not like. I don't have nearl as much snow down here as you guy's up north, but these cold days are begining to get to me.[:0]

There's only two negatives that I've experienced: 1. It's VERY noisy inside that cab running a snowblower at wide-open throttle... 2. Under certain circumstances the windows will steam up inside from the warmth and your breath, and there's no defroster...

I just started a thread asking if any of you have problems with exhaust in the cab. Put mine in last night and drove around ...too many fumes in there...i think i more enjoy the cold air and snow misting on me!

I agree with Kent's dislike about the cabs and another dislike of mine is...getting in and out of the tractor is not as easy...and when I put it in to park it I have to make sure to park so I can get out,LOL I have so many tractors in the garage its tight trying to make a spot big enough to be able for the door to swing open to get out...But then again maybe I should just stay in there until it snows again,nice and comfy once I am in,LOL

When facing into the wind blowing snow the cab is most appreciated. When it's sleeting out there is nothing like having a cab. The hand powered wiper keeps me busy. No wet pants seat. I use anti fogging solution to keep windshield clear. The noise level is definitely worse with my cab. My concern about fumes is about nil for myself but if I take the kids for a ride I leave the door full open.

I have not really noticed the noise,i'll pay more attention to that this year, however there is no substitute for a cab as protection from the rain,wind,hail and snow.

I don't have a problem with fogging,for the fact mine is'nt sealed up enough.The only drawback that I do have is visibility,mostly backing up.

At one time I really wanted a cab. I even thought of making a completely clear "Pope-mo-snow" cab from acrylic panels. Then I considered the downsides as described above. Plus storing the thing when not in use. What I decided to do is wait until the blizzard stops and then wear Artic clothing, ski mask & goggles. That does the trick for me. You live in NC. How bad can it get? Either get tough or do what I do when it's really nasty out. Why would any of us want to take our tractors out in the rain, wind, hail and snow anyway? Take a tractor blade, put wheels and a push handle on it so the wife can do the job. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/done-side.jpg[/img]

I have to agree I sure enjoy the Cab in the snow,sleet wind Etc. It is noisy but I just wear my "Work tunes" and I don't notice it... Mine does fog up and you get a little fumes but it sure beats the cold michigan winter air..

simplicity707
Is 75.00 cheap for an NOS Simplicity cab for my 2010. It's complete for 75.00. I might jump on it if it's cozy in the winter time when plowing.

I would have to say the biggest disadvantage is visibility. But the comfort level allows you to shed most of the arctic gear to make up for it..RainX anti-fog is a good product. $75.00 is a very good deal considering one just ended on ePay for $300.00+ and didn't meet reserve. ;) http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4333962211&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT Mack

When you have to spend hours blowing snow at -20° and wind blown snow there is nothing like a cab. I blow snow wearing a short sleeve shirt and light jacket and most of the time it is open and no gloves. Electric windshield wiper and a electric defroster for when the humidity is high and it wants to fog up windows. I used one of those rear window aftermarket rear window defrosters with a heater and blower motor in it. mounted this on the roof facing the windshield. as far as fumes it depends on the way the wind is blowing. I haven't really noticed an increase in noise in cab as the cab has never been off this tractor And as to getting in and out of it should be no problem for someone with two good legs. I have to have both doors open in order to get in and out and I have limited space in my garage. Any cab for $75.00 I would be grabbing it.

Is there anyway you could duct some of the waste heat from the engine into the cab? ... maybe some flexible dryer ducting from the engine air discharge and into the cab? ... might make it much more toasty inside and keep the windows clear? ... would be something like the heating system in the old Type II VW bus. I was just wondering this ... don't have a cab. /r David

Noise has never been a problem in the cab for me as I wear ear protection when using the tractors at all times. I didn't always, but now... when I turn off my hearing aids... they make pretty good ear plugs. Just a word to the wise by example. My cab is on an Ultima 1920H and fumes have never been a problem either. The cab is large enough, with enough fresh air that I don't have a problem with fogging. Taking it off in one piece was pretty much a two man job, as I am short of arm and leg. For storage I hung it from the overhead to begine with, but ended up just shelving it with a tarp over it to keep the dust off the windows. The last two years I have just removed the curtains and left the top on as a sun shade. (More unasked for advise from someone who learned the hard way) As I say I'm not all that big and this is on a large tractor so room to get in and out is not a problem. It can get pretty cold and windy in this part of Michigan and in the past I have done most of my snow moving around my work schedule, so it was done in the dark. I almost always plow wearing my leather work boots, jeans, and my carhart chore coat, with hat and gloves. So far I have not found it so cold that I felt the need for heat. The main thing I think is to keep the wind and the blowing snow off the skin. The cool air is refreshing and easy to breath after being inside a good part of the day. If I came across a cab for that price I'd buy it just for a spare.

This will be the 12th winter for this rig and I love it, money well spent!!:D:D:D:D

If you deal with mostly wet snow, I wouldn't worry about a cab. But up here in Wisconsin we get a lot of fluffy, blowy, in your face snow and the temperature the day after a snow fall is always -20 (well at least feels that cold). I tried blowing snow without a cab ONCE! Never again! Yes it is noiser, but never had any fogging or fume issues. I have cabs (and blowers) for by HB212, my 716H and my 917H. Note: We have quit using a cab on the plowing tractor, which is usually the HB212.

I get a lot of wood in the winter for my main heat source. The snowfall usually isn't to bad,but when it comes here it's usually hits us pretty good. The weather otherwise is cold and wet. I thought about the cab cause I dress out about 135 pounds. This ain't much in the winter wind and I still have 4/5 layers of clothes on with my Carharts. I'm looking at an old cab for my 212 on e-bay and thought if I liked it I might try to get one for my 620 or make one. There's always something to do around here and It gets a little tireing being cold and wet. By useing all the avaliable attachments for these grand little tractors, it certainly makes life more interesting, not to mention a little easier.