Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Trivia, Ethylene

Al

Hi, A person was in yesterday and we were talking about new engines and the subject of run in and storage came up. He asked how new engines could be run and not have old gas and varnish in the carb. When I was at Kohler this Summer, I got them to give me, my wife, my office manager and her husband a tour. One of the things that was interesting to me was that when new engines are started and run in at the end of the assy line, they are run on ethylene instead of gasoline to eliminate the residue as it all evaporates. If an engine needs to be shipped air freight, they have a station where they bring it and unbox it, remove the carb, open it up and clean the inside of the carb with some type of cleaner and reassemble it to meet all of the "no explosives" rules for air freight. This and a buck might buy you a cup of coffe. Al Eden

Hmmm..interesting...I wonder what cleaner is that they use? I thouhgt ethylene had such a low evaporatoin point that it would just 'disappear' in a short period of time. Eliminating the need for cleaning...is the crankcase left full of oil?