Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MTD transmission

maxtorman1234

maxtorman1234
Hi, My uncle has a MTD with a hydrostatic transmission. It is about 7 years old and the transmission has started leaking around the gasket. It is out of oil now. Does anybody know if we can add oil to it, or have to put a new gasket in it? Thanks,

If it leaks oil out a gasket and there is no oil in it now. I think I would replace the gasket before I added oil to it.

Simplicity314
I think he's asking if it could be done at all, or if the things are sealed. If you don't have your manual, call a dealer and tell them what you have. If he says the thing can be refilled,then ask him about the seal. I know some of the cheaper ones--like riding mowers, were sealed (at least on my old Yard Man, mfg. by MTD was). The hydros are more expensive and I doubt they'd make them throw-aways.

quote:
Originally posted by Simplicity314
I think he's asking if it could be done at all, or if the things are sealed. If you don't have your manual, call a dealer and tell them what you have. If he says the thing can be refilled,then ask him about the seal. I know some of the cheaper ones--like riding mowers, were sealed (at least on my old Yard Man, mfg. by MTD was). The hydros are more expensive and I doubt they'd make them throw-aways.
I would say the same thing. Check your manual and/or dealer. I never really heard of a maintenance free hydro.

maxtorman1234
Ok, Thanks. We'll check with the dealer. Didn't know if it was like those old sealed Vickers I've heard of. No idea what were dealing with, but I know I prefer the A/C's:D