Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

transmission drivebelt

2980mike

ive been adjusting on my transmission drive belt on my 728 broadmoor but no matter how it is adjusted even at specs,my pully on the transmission still turns and it grinds goin into gear. any suggestions thanks 2980mike

You have to watch carefully as you disengage the clutch. The pulley should STOP. The pulley won't stop if the belt is touching (even slightly). Adjust the stops. Some tractors have a pulley brake. If yours does, or is supposed to, adjust or replace worn pad or lining. If yours doesn't, make one. If your transmission turns extremely easy, use the proper grade lube or replace with a heavier grade.

quote:
Originally posted by dutch
You have to watch carefully as you disengage the clutch. The pulley should STOP. The pulley won't stop if the belt is touching (even slightly). Adjust the stops. Some tractors have a pulley brake. If yours does, or is supposed to, adjust or replace worn pad or lining. If yours doesn't, make one. If your transmission turns extremely easy, use the proper grade lube or replace with a heavier grade
Dutch, what is the exact proper transmission lube.I am new to these simplicity machines and i am learning alot.My brother has got me hooked on these high quality machines now and ive got two of them so far am i am very impressed by them.But they are a whole new animal to tame.But well worth the work when you finally get them in good working order.I really appreciate the help and information you guys share on here.Also, Ive been wondering when do you get the status of member , ive noticed it on some of the posts. thanks very much 2980mike

Hi, I agree #1 choice is the belt stops. One other question. Are you using OEM belts? Many of these belts are HA cross section and are not the same as 1/2" belts. Also, wrap and coatings are part of the total package. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

quote:
Originally posted by 2980mike
what is the exact proper transmission lube.I am new to these simplicity machines and i am learning alot.My brother has got me hooked on these high quality machines now and ive got two of them so far am i am very impressed by them.But they are a whole new animal to tame.But well worth the work when you finally get them in good working order.I really appreciate the help and information you guys share on here.Also, Ive been wondering when do you get the status of member , ive noticed it on some of the posts.
Check the manual for the proper lube. Manuals are available online, free. As already stated, the problem is probably the belt stops, or a non-OEM belt. [img]/club2/attach/dutch/belt-stop.jpg[/img] Read this to join the club and get the "member" icon.> http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26472

problem taken care of. my brother Good Ole JR come to the rescue by manufacturing a belt stop for me.pretty simple job,i guess you live and learn. LOL.