Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine out....modifications?

WarrenVineyards

WarrenVineyards
My engine is out while I'm repainting my b110. But, I thought I'd ask a general question about recommended modifications. If you had your engine out, what modifications would you do to improve efficiency and reliability?

Keep the engine basically stock. When you say "efficiency", especially as it is related to the engine, I assume you want more power. If you want more power, then install a 16 Hp B/S to replace the 10 Hp. Performance modifications such as milling the head, etc. usually mean the generation of more heat. These air-cooled engines have marginal airflow to start with. Any significant modification may cause your engine to overheat and essentially destroy itself in a relatively short time. I have built several high performance engines for tractor pulling, but I wouldn't even think of using one in a work tractor. There is a big difference between a one minute run at full-throttle down a 200 ft track when compared to operating for hours at full throttle mowing grass or blowing snow.

WarrenVineyards
I agree with the drawbacks to performance mods. I meant efficiency mods along the lines of the points/condensor replacement that Dutch wrote about in the Tech Articles.

In addition to the shroud, I'd remove the oil pan and clean the gunk out. If the engine was running fine, I'd just leave it alone. Maybe, I'd pull the flywheel and replace the key....... Maybe.

Clean it is all you need to do. Remove all the shroudes and wire brush and blow out all the dust and durt from the fly wheel, as well as the fins around the cylinder. Dont paint anything inside the shrouds. The shrouds themself it is a good idea to paint, they tend to rust from the inside out. The best thing anyone can do for this type of motor it to help get the heat away from the unit. This is best done buy leting the motor breath. Painting the block and shrouds are ok but I dont recomend painting the fins around the cylinder or the fins of the head. Just my 2 cents. have fun...

It could also be a good time to pull the head and clean the carbon deposits in the combustion chamber. You can do this with the engine in the tractor, but it would be easier to do it now. Putting in a new head gasket could also give peace of mind.