Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

I couldn't see for smoke

KenK

I had the hb-112 out today and all of a sudden it started smoking like oil was being poured right in the cylinder.It would come and go,after running wide open for a couple of minutes,it stopped smoking.Does this sound like maybe a breather problem or could the rings have stuck a little from sitting all summer?This is a 14hp briggs engine,what do ya all think.

I had a similar problem with my ten HP engine. To make a long story short, I had to replace the piston and rings. I did not clean the cylinder fins behind the air baffle around the intake valve for some time and did not get any air circulation. This took out the rings, scratched the piston pretty bad and caused the the occasional oil puffing. Over time the occasional became more regular. I caught mine in the nick of time as it was starting to work on the bore. I was lucky to hone out scratch marks and save the original bore. I aslo installed a chrome ring set. After four seasons, it is now running AOK. The fins get blown off twice a year.

Its possible you had some carbon harden up behind the oil ring. Might be a good idea to pour some rislon slowly through the carb while its running, which will soften up the carbon and blow it out the muffler thus maybe preventing scratching your cyl walls. Couple years ago I picked up a Gilson with a 16hp briggs real cheap because of a bad knock, guy knew the rod was going, but listening to it the knock sounded to high fo a rod to me. After I got it home I poured rislon down the carb and after a few min that briggs got real nice and quite, still running for a friend today.

Check the drain hole on the breather for blockage. If the breather fills with oil it will pump oil right into the carb. This will also happen if the oil level is a bit to high and you mow on a side hill.

I went to the garage tonight and found a puddle of oil under the tractor.The oil is coming through the breather and filling the carb.I'm going to clean the breather up and also get a can of rislon.Then we'll see what happens,worst comes to worst I'll stick the 15hp in it.

• 2 months later...
I replaced the 14 with the 15 I had,works great.Went ahead and tore down the 14 to find a broken top ring.The other 2 rings had about a 1/4 in end gap.No wonder it smoked[:0].So I checked the crank and rod,they where both fine.Honed the cylinder and a new set of rings.I ended up with about .030 ring end gap.Probably should have been bored but I didn't want to spend the extra $.Runs real nice now with no smoke:D. Now I need another tractor to put it in.

powerking_one
Ken, If you are doing a enconomy rebuild with a cylinder worn out of spec, I would buy .010" or .020" OS rings and file the gaps a little to get the gap near minimum. It takes very little filing to achieve. With a .030" gap on STD size rings, .020" OS rings would be in order I'd think. Tom(PK)