Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best tire setup for snow

msiebern

What do you feel the best setup is for plowing/blowing snow? Tractor lug style rear tires or turf tires with chains? How about the fronts? Any opinion on the lug style vs 3 rib vs turf?

I have heard alot of good things about snow hogs in the front. I my self have thought about a set for the rear of my little Broadmoor. I can get 16/650-8 in snow hogs. I'm just not sure just how they will fit on the rim. Right now I use trufs with chains."only because I dont have any AGs" Elon

IMO turfs with 2 link chains are the best overall. My 725 with goodyear Ag's doesn't do bad but the turfs and chains win out when the going gets tough. Not really a straight across the table comparison because the ags are 6 inch and the trufs are 8.5. I have snow hogs mounted up for the front, but after I got my tri-ribs they became spare tires. I like the steering of the tri ribs far better.

It all depends on terrain, conditions and type of snow. When I use the snowthrower on flat terrain and dry snow, I can use plain turf tires without chains or weights. If I switch to a blade on the same tractor and under the same conditions, I often need Ag tires with chains and weights. Loss of traction will determine what is needed. Not knowing what conditions I will encounter, I now equip all my tractors for the worst conditions. Don't forget to keep the tire pressure low.

I like the way this one is setup.Tri-ribs on the front,Ags on the back.The chains are four link.Two link chains would probably give a less bumpy ride but they do alright.70 pounds of wheel weights on each.I use only about 6-8 pounds tire pressure on the rear.

Mack

I have turf tires on my 2010 and I just use chains, no weights, for pushing snow with the blade and it works great, even with the hills I have. I guess my fat butt is enough so I don't need weights:I.

I prefer 23x10.5 AG tires on the rear and tri-ribs on the front. I use this combination to push snow with a blade. I have never used chains on the AG tires and never needed them. On another tractor with turfs, I have to use chains to push a blower in the snow.

I like AG's with weights for my blade tractor, its bound to slip some, and does less damage to my blacktop. On the blower tractor I have turfs with 2 link chains, can control slippage with the hydro.

On my blade tractor I use ag's with 4 # pressure double link chains with cross bars and 300# of weight. On the blower I use the same chains on turf tires with a cab and 150# of weight. on both on the front I have chosen the older narrow wheel with the large open knobby tread, narrow for the snow knobby for the ice under the snow. I had good luck last year as I only had to get out the big loader twice and thats pretty good considering I only live a mile from lake Michigan.

Along the lines of preparing for winter duty.Here is a link for instructions on mounting tire chains.This is the quick and easy way to do it. http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_200_1690_00_SK_SMA.pdf