Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
B.Ikard

Flywheel magnets-K301 Kohler in 7012 Simplicity

B.Ikard
After tearing down my 12 hp Kohler I noticed only 5 magnets in the flywheel with 1 obviously missing. The magnets are equally spaced but do not have the roll pins as on other Kohler flywheels. I read somewhere this might be a "low" current charging system, but the rectifier looks like a 15 amp unit. I can not tell if there was a magnet there when it left the factory or one came off and somebody never re glued it. The stator is new. I notice the ammeter will not show a charge lower than about 2000-250 rpms. I don't know what kind of balance problems a missing magnet might cause... Can anybody confirm a 1977 7012 has a "missing magnet" flywheel? The engine is a 47642 spec #. This engine has some serious wear and I am weighing options to replace or repair. I have found a new in box 16 hp Magnum for $600 and am keeping watch on Ebay for 14hp's... Thanks, Brent Ikard

Al
Brent, Yes they were built that way. The voltage regulator limits the voltage to around 14.5 volts. With the one magnet missing, I believe they rate the systme at 10 amps insteat of 15. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

B.Ikard
Al, Thanks for your help. After a harder look I noticed the flywheel has a "lump" over the missing magnet-probably for balance. You would think it would have been easier/cheaper fo Kohler just to "glue" a magnet in for uniformity and keep 1 part number. Brent Ikard