Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Flywheel magnets-K301 Kohler in 7012 Simplicity

B.Ikard

After tearing down my 12 hp Kohler I noticed only 5 magnets in the flywheel with 1 obviously missing. The magnets are equally spaced but do not have the roll pins as on other Kohler flywheels. I read somewhere this might be a "low" current charging system, but the rectifier looks like a 15 amp unit. I can not tell if there was a magnet there when it left the factory or one came off and somebody never re glued it. The stator is new. I notice the ammeter will not show a charge lower than about 2000-250 rpms. I don't know what kind of balance problems a missing magnet might cause... Can anybody confirm a 1977 7012 has a "missing magnet" flywheel? The engine is a 47642 spec #. This engine has some serious wear and I am weighing options to replace or repair. I have found a new in box 16 hp Magnum for $600 and am keeping watch on Ebay for 14hp's... Thanks, Brent Ikard

That new in the box 16HP Magnum is a steal. I'd go for it! They will fit right in too with only minor modifications to be done. I put a new 16HP Magnum in my A-C 916H last February.

Brent, Yes they were built that way. The voltage regulator limits the voltage to around 14.5 volts. With the one magnet missing, I believe they rate the systme at 10 amps insteat of 15. My 2 cents worth and its free, value accordingly. Al Eden

Al, Thanks for your help. After a harder look I noticed the flywheel has a "lump" over the missing magnet-probably for balance. You would think it would have been easier/cheaper fo Kohler just to "glue" a magnet in for uniformity and keep 1 part number. Brent Ikard

Hi, Sometimes in Big Companies, LOGICAL is not a factor. Probably some marketing guy OR OEM decided for some reason a 10 amp system was needed. I agree with you the less part numbers the less overhead. Al Eden