Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Frustrated with B210 Starting Problems

norush

Gentlemen, Any suggestions would be appreciated... I'm having trouble keeping my 210 in good starting operation. I've been tinkering with this machine off and on for a couple years. Used it when I could get it started, but most time just burned daylight trying. Earlier this year, I bit the bullet and had a local shop give it a "tune up". They did points, plug, etc. Things worked for a couple months, then the hard starting began again. Two months ago I went through the recommended carb adjustment procedure and had the engine starting and running good. Then we hit a dry spell, the grass stopped growing and the tractor sat. When I needed to mow again a couple weeks ago, the starting problems were back. Here's my starting procedure and the results: Shift to neutral, brake/clutch depressed, full choke, throttle in all the way, and turn the key. Cranks over well, engine usually pops right away, but runs rough and spurts and sputters. The engine usually kills within a minute whether I move the choke and/or throttle or not. Does this sound like a machine or an operator problem? Any suggestions? Thanks, Russ PS: Check out the pictures in my profile. I finally got some uploaded.

Have you any moisture in the gas tank? Sometimes spits and sputters might mean water in carb. Try some Heet. Maybe a couple of bottles. It will not hurt anything.

Just checked out the pics in your Gallery. That's a clean original machine to be 35 years old! I didn't notice, but do you have an inline fuel filter on it? You may also be dealing with rust inside the gas tank that keeps getting into the carb....

I had a mowewr do that and i put a shut off valve inline with the fuel line going to carburetor.Had to make sure the gas was turned off when not in use for periods of time.Do you have a shutoff valve for your fuel?

My Landlord likes to start with just a little bit of throttle and 3/4 choke. As soon as it starts it spits too but you have to move the choke down to about 1/4 until it smoothes out. That's just my tractor and it's own personality. If you haven't already I would check to make sure the little screen in the gas outlet on the bottom of the gas tank isn't clogged. I took my screen out, cleaned out the tank, lined it with (Kreem) gas tank liner, and put a inline fuel filter on the gas line.

Good suggestions/ideas all. I do have an inline filter and the tank has a shut-off. I'll need to do some checking to see if the tank is shedding/flaking rust into the line. I'll also try a little less choke and a slight throttle pull-out. Also try the gas treatment or fresh gas again. I guess in general you all are saying that I should expect some finickiness?

Not that this is your problem now since it will start. But last summer I let the Landlord sit for about 4 weeks, when I went to start it again it decided that it didn't want to. I found for some reason that the points were stuck shut, after I cleaned them with a piece of 600 grit sandpaper I have had no more starting or running problems. seems to start on the first crank of the ol starter/generator.

Hi Russ, I have 6 tractors and everyone of them have to be started different! But it does sound like a fuel problem, either dirty or has water. NICE looking tractor!!

Spark plug tells the tale. When it fails to start, pull the spark plug out and inspect it. If it's wet with gas then you choked it too much or your not getting enough of a spark. If it's dry then you've not choked it enough or the carb is not letting gas out. My Simplicity Sovereign 3212H and yours both have an updraft carb. I've found I have to put the choke on all the way with the throttle at idle to start mine. Good Luck,,,

Have to agree with Gordon, all three of my Briggs have slightly different starting habits. The 23D in the Landlord is the strangest, if it sits more then a couple weeks I have to blow in the tank to put some pressure on the system to get the gas to flowing so it starts. Then it fires right up.

Hmmm... just a thought. Wouldn't a closed throttle and full choke put the most "suction" on the fuel system to draw in gas through a less-than-perfect gravity-fed (i.e. no fuel pump) system that may be partially clogged or.... My 3112V is exactly this way -- and the most finicky of all my tractors to start. Will only fire off on 3/4 to full choke and NO throttle. Then, slowly increase the throttle and then start backing off on the choke as it warms up. Both the HB-216 and Big Ten like full choke and about 1/4 throttle to start... but with start readily with less choke or throttle, though they may sputter and die.

usually I dont need to chocke it at all, or very much if its warm outside. You could be over running it with gas and it wants to start. Thats a good thing. May try a hoter plug to.

My 3410 would be hard to start,and when it did start,it would spit and sputter,barely running. I replaced the motor in that tractor,but I took that original Briggs out of the 3410,and put it in my 2110.I did a thorough tune up on it,replacing points,condenser,and plug. Now it starts first time,every time,with plenty of power.Make sure the points are decent,not burned,and adjusted correctly.Also make sure the wire from the points isn't grounding anywhere.Good Luck!

My two B-110's start totally different, one starts no throttle, full choke. one starts crack throttle and full choke, although it does sound like a fuel problem, too much, too little.