Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Power fluid or what?

Nubian

I did a search with negative results. There was a post addressing leakage in the hydro tranny's. Type F drips like crazy.It was mentioned that maybe power fluid does not leak as opposed to type F. What are the recommended fluids to use in a Sundstrand?

Take a close look at the Simplicity lube chart Maynard linked above. Does it make sense? Maybe it's me, but Simplicity seems to change their mind regarding the proper lube for the 15-hydros, BGBs, and even the gear transaxles. All I know is, I drained what appeared to be MPHO from my 7012H. The OEM manual called for Type-F. The Type-F leaked bad. Another OEM manual called for Type-A. Yet another OEM manual called for MPHO. I drained the Type-F, refilled with MPHO, and the leaks stopped.

This is from SunStrand    [url="http://www.sauer-danfoss.com/domdb/SASproducts.nsf/2dd81f77829d09d086256591004f57d7/4eaf4254049ee5b5862565940053ad6a?OpenDocument"]Series 15 Hydrostatic Transmissions[/url] PDF download >>>   [url="http://www.sauer-danfoss.com/domdb/SASproducts.nsf/2dd81f77829d09d086256591004f57d7/4EAF4254049EE5B5862565940053AD6A/$file/10006B.pdf"]info and specs manual.[/url] Fluids Ratings and data for Sauer-Sundstrand products are based on operating with premium hydraulic fluids containing oxidation, rust, and foam inhibitors. These premium fluids include API CD engine oils per SAE J183, Type F automatic transmission fluids, power shift transmission fluids meeting Allison C-3 or Caterpillar TO-2 requirements and certain specialty agriculture tractor fluids. For further information, consult Sauer-Sundstrand. At continuous operating conditions, fluid viscosity should be above 55 SUS (9 mm2/sec). Minimum fluid viscosity should be above 45 SUS (6.4 mm2/sec) at intermittent operating conditions. Filtration A 20 micron (nominal rating) filter should be placed in the inlet line to the charge pump. The maximum continuous inlet vacuum should not exceed 10 in. Hg (0.7 bar abs.); the filter should be replaced when the inlet vacuum exceeds 10 in. Hg (0.7 bar abs.). During cold starts, the inlet vacuum may exceed this level. Inlet vacuum at normal operating conditions should not exceed 5 in. Hg (0.8 bar abs.). Inlet Filter It is imperative that only clean fluid enters the hydrostatic transmission circuit, therefore a 20 micron (nominal rating) inlet filter is required in the charge pump inlet line. This filter should not have a bypass and should be changed regularly to ensure system reliability. There has been talk about filters and anti drain back valves. SundStrand says nothing about anti drainback but does say no bypass valve in filter

Maynard, We could both speculate why Simplicity specifies different lubricants, but who would care? Today’s oils are different from yesterday’s oils, and compatibility and availability changes. For example, the API “CD” specified by Sundstrand is obsolete. Many engine manufacturers specify API “CH-4” as a suitable replacement, others do not. As you know, unlike “S” specifications for gasoline engines, “C” specifications for diesel engines do not supersede one another. The average consumer doesn’t care to understand that viscosity, cold temperature protection, volatility, wear protection, oxidation, total base number (TBN), detergents and dispersants, foaming, and heat dispersion are all critical factors. Lubricants affect seal swell. An OEM seal installed 20 years ago may have been made of Viton. The OEM replacement of today may be silicone or Buna-N. The lubricant specified for the Viton seal may negatively affect a Buna-N seal. What is an aftermarket seal made in China made of? Who knows? It's $2 cheaper...... that's all that matters. Right? I always try and use OEM parts. Many times there will be a note in the box advising of a TSB. Sometimes that is also true with aftermarket parts. But how many consumers read those TSBs? How many owners use Simplicity Multi-Purpose Hydraulic Oil? It’s more expensive than Wally World ATF. Same as filters. Why get “ripped off” by a dealer? Some people feel lucky or insist on learning the hard way.

My dealer recommended the universal tractor transmission and hydraulic fluid that most farm tractors use today. It can be bought from most oil companies or AGCO, Massey Ferguson, etc. In Ford it is 134 fluid.

Thanks for the replies,haven't been able to reply sooner. I found a source for the ORIGINAL power fluid 821, will see if leaks stop. Thanks again

Eddie, This is from the Sunstrum Repair Manual TP_500_2518_00_XX_SMA.pdf Sundstrand Series 15 Hydrostatic Transmission Description / Specifications DESCRIPTION This section includes testing, troubleshooting, removal, installation, disassembly, repair, and reassembly. Troubleshooting procedure should always be checked before the hydrostatic transmission is removed from the tractor. SPECIFICATIONS Pump Displacement ................................0 - .913 in3/rev. Pump Input Speed.................................4000 RPM max. Motor Displacement..................................... .913 in3/rev. Motor Output Speed..................................0 - 4000 RPM Max. Operating Pressure..................................3000 PSI Charge Pump Displacement............................33 in3/rev. Charge Relief Setting ..................................50 - 180 PSI Filtration...........................................25 micron (nominal) Hydraulic Fluid ...............................Type A, F or Dextron automatic transmission fluid or Simplicity Multi Purpose Hydraulic Fluid