Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Have to bring a few of these home

KSever

Found about 8-10 of these pull behinds laying out back of the old golf shop yesterday, look to be in good shape and just like the ones Kent has posted on his site. Hopefully I can bring them home tomorrow and get some pictures. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/new_in_1964/landlord_pg6_small.jpg[/img]

You back-lap the blades to sharpen them. I chucked up one (Scotts Classic 20") in a drill press, painted on rubbing compound using a 1" brush and turned on the drill press. The blades must rotate backwards to sharpen them. And really should find a way to reduce the speed to under 100 rpm. Anyway, long story short, 10 minutes later and the blades were sharp enough to cut newspaper. I've been told that if you do it right, each sharpening should last about 2 years. But I suppose this depends upon how much you use the mower. /r David

You may need to mow more often, I think the grass has to be shorter for a reel mow, but it should really shortted you time if you have open area mowing.

Jay, The ones I got are from the golf course here at the Resort. They are a commercial Toro brand from the 70's, as far as I can tell so far after digging them out of the poison ivy 6 of them are in real good shape and 36" wide. I got all the mounting brackets and the drop wings to install additional cutters but I think I'm going to try and use only 5 of them which should put me somewhere around a 15 foot swath IF the AC 314 will even pull them. I might have to settle for 3 or 9 foot. But anything is better than 42" on a 5 acre lot. Hopefully tomorrow if it isn't raining I can load them on the truck and get pictures.