Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Bleeding Air from Hydro Unit??

stevenj

What is the procedure to bleed the air from the hydro unit in a 17 GTH-L (Sundstrand)? I've had the hydraulic lines disconnected from the lift cylinder and the control valve in order to facilitate removal of the steering gear and while they were disconnected I've leaked some fluid out. Whenn I get the unit started I want to know what procedure I use to make sure I get all the air out of the system. I assume that the same procedure would also have to be used when you drain and replace the hydraulic fluid and filter, right?

Just a couple of tips. 1) Sometimes the "Lift Little Pin" relief valve gets rusty on the inside due to condensation. I always clean the area and remove the entire valve by loosening the hex right beneath it. 2) Notice that in the above illustration Simplicity recommends either Hydro Oil or ATF type "A", "F", or Dexron? Check this recent topic > http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=41245 I would suggest you take a sample of what is in your hydro now, and add the same type fluid. I never liked mixing different fluids.

Thanks for the information and tips. The oil that drained out had a light color and was a little clearer than clean motor oil so I assume that it is filled with the multi-purpose hyd fluid. The parts book lists the filter as the short 25 micron filter 1671234. A chart that Manyard posted in another topic specifies the medium length filter 1709322 which is also the same filter listed in the late model sovereign parts list. What is the difference between the short and medium filters for the Sundstrand Model 15(besides the obvious length difference)?

quote:
Originally posted by stevenj
The oil that drained out had a light color and was a little clearer than clean motor oil so I assume that it is filled with the multi-purpose hyd fluid.
That sounds correct.
quote:
Originally posted by stevenj
What is the difference between the short and medium filters for the Sundstrand Model 15(besides the obvious length difference)?
As far as I know there is no difference besides length.