Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A clue as to paint?

Simplicity314

Found this photo with description in a gallery on the antiquetractors web site. The descriptions says this tractor was the first to use Person Orange #2 and cream. It was manufactured between 1960-62. What are the odds it is the same as "simplicity orange" used on our garden tractors?

The Allis Chalmers D15 was the first new model to be painted Person Orange #2 with a cream grill and cream wheels. It had the same engine as the D14 but a higher compression ratio and increased RPM. This tractor was produced from 1960 through 1962. Hope this helps. --Jim

The Allis L&G tractors used Corporate Orange, not Persian Orange (either Persian #1 -- shown on this chart -- or Persian #2 in your picture), as shown on this yellowed paint chart. [img]http://simpletractors.com/images/color_chart.jpg[/img] Not quite as dark as Persian #1 and quite a bit darker than Persian #2, with a touch of red in it -- that's why weathered tractors look more red. The closest spray can I've seen to the Simplicity Orange on the oldies is Chevy Red/Orange Engine Enamel... but to be honest, I've spent much more time trying to discover good matches for the Allis yellows...

Thanks...so more is known about these paints than I thought. After reading a few posts about paint, it seemed to me as though the exact/original color was a mystery.

Jim unless you are a real color 'Nazi', most people don't notice slight deviations to color. My Suntstar hood has a version of Case Orange, and if you read all of the posts on AC yellow or Simp Orange for garden tractors, you might see two dozen combinations. You yourself might get an untouched tracor of the seventies with a new origunal paint job and people will differ in their opinion if that was an original finish. Beauty has always been in the eyes of the beholder. What ever you do you only have to answer to yourself.

I have been touching up my simplicity 7100 with rustolium Allis Chalmers Orange implement paint. It is a close match to the corporate orange.

Kent, is that a paint chart supplied by allis? Or is it from a modern day paint supplier and if so who is the supplier. I need to repaint a couple of tractors. I have seen charts at NAPA but the yellows on there charts seem to be more for heavy construction equipment.

Looks from chips the old stuff pre 80's used persian,[more red]the newer stuff used the corporate which the dealers carry today,,.

The Simplicity colors of orange, particularly the Simplicity Red that was used in the sixties, is so hard to match because even Simplicity didn't have a steady supplier of the same paint - that's why there is no "paint code" to use to match to DuPont etc.. I actually have a handful of new old stock Simplicity Red spray cans that are probably 15 years old or so. They are more for collecting than using - I can't imagine they would spray good enough to trust it to a good finish. Even worse, I can remember about 12 years ago using up a can or two of Allis yellow on a Sweepster that I was painting - it was a good match to their yellow. If I had only known what I was doing.... Tim