Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Coil leaking oil

Simplicity314

Hi..I apparently need another coil, as mine is leaking. It is the car type coil. Should I get the Kohler coil with an internal resistor that Ken Williams recommended in his article on the main page 'Converting Magnito to Coil?' or is there a Briggs coil? Input would be appreciated. Thanks. --Jim

You can use any 12 volt coil designed for battery ignition. Don't confuse those with a Briggs coil (aka Armature) used with a magneto ignition sysytem. A common auto coil may be cheaper than a Kohler coil. Check it out. If you can't find a coil with an internal resistor, you can install an external auto type resistor (Chrysler), or even a resistor wire (Ford). Tips: 1) You may have a full 12 volts going to the coil right now causing it to overheat and leak oil. 2) Don't let any kids play with that leaking coil. It may contain PCB oil (nasty stuff). http://www.cqs.com/pcb.htm

I checked out that coil ambler, and sent an email to M&D. They said it was not an internal resistor. I did find, in one of the old trailers out back, a delco-remy coil. The number on it is 293 B-R. Anyone know if this would work, if the thing is working itself? The coil on the tractor now is a Delco-Remy 208. Also, is there any way to bench test a coil? I have it sitting here in front of me, and my meter is within reach! Thanks again. --Jim

Well, after doing some research, I found how to test a coil. I pulled the info together, condensed it and posted it under 'tech tips and articles' under 'tractor discussions,' for those interested. The D-R coil I have tested ok (!), but I still need to know if it is a 12 volt model and if it has an internal regulator or not. Thanks.

A coil with out resistance internal/external on a 12 volt system will burn out points. Automotive systems used an external resistor (Chrysler) or resistance wire (ford GM) GM also used internal resistance. The Kohler coil if it is an original Kohler coil should be internal resistor.

Jim, I assume you are putting it on a Kohler. That coil is the Kohler part for all the K series engines I have and its at a good price.

ambler..it is going on a Briggs 23D. Okay, I did a little searching and found out how to test the coil to see if it has an internal ballast resistor. I edited my post in 'tech tips & articles' accordingly. As it turns out, the resistance in this Delco-Remy 293 B-R is within the perameters, so it has an internal resistor. (Can the B-R mean ballast resistor???). Anyway, I'll let you know how it turns out when I get to it. Thanks again everyone for your help with this one.