Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
Drtumolo

locking rear-end

comet66
The 20hp. models had a two speed trans. with diff. lock. I thought that it was on all of the 20's until I saw one down in Ohio that was single speed and no lock. I don't know what year it was but it could have been a late one. The only way I can imagine to change it would be to change out the trans axle. If that is your wish your timing could not be better as the needed items are listed on ebay right now. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=82242&item=4337739230&rd=1 http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=82242&item=4337738007&rd=1 I find the locking feature very usefull and use it a lot, but have never had my tractor in low range. good luck.

comet66
This is just a guess mind you, but I would think it would be quite difficult and time consuming to stuff the needed parts into a nonlocking housing.

But on the other hand, it is winter, and it could be interesting to open it up and look inside. Let us know what you find in there.

UCD
If you want a locking rear the cheapest and easiest way would be to swap the rear differential for one with a locking differential out of a parts tractor. A Sunstar is a Sunstar is a Sunstar. Whether it is orange or green. Hint, the green ones are cheaper to buy. They came in 14, 16, 18, & 20hp flavors.

comet66
I don't think that one sold, so you could contact the seller and ask him to either sell it to you or relist it. This one is currently listed as trans only, and makes no mention of the locking feature or mfg.#. You could message him and ask though. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=4339447772&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT I can't say how often these come up for auction but they are the first I have seen.

stevenj
The original trans that didn't sell has been relisted. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4339853851 The only problem is that you could have had it for $250 on the first auction. It's now listed as a Buy It Now only for $450. So the question is, how bad do you really want it?

Drtumolo
I missed the end of the auction and I have a hard time spending 4$450 for something that was being sold origanally for $250. Is there any adjustments to the none locking diff. that will provide more limited slip action?

KSever
I would still send the Ebay seller an email and ask him for the $250 price as it was in the first auction. Joes is a pretty good ebayer to deal with, Who knows it might not sell this time either and he might take you up on your offer

UCD
The $250.00 price was the starting bid for the auction. $450.00 was what he was looking for. It did not sell and is now listed as a buy it now in his ebay store. I would email joe at joes_outdoor_power and offer him the $250.00. You might be surprised and he accepts it. I have emailed him a few times and he seems to be a reasonable person. If you don't ask you will never know. The worse that can happen is he says no.