Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Mystery of the silver block on Broadmoor

HammockJA

Found and old time Simplicity dealer and B&S expert hiding out here in Washington Mo. I was troubled by the silver block on the Braodmoor Demonstrator I purchased a few wekks back but, old timer suggests this is a re-block from B&S. May not be original to manufacture but not out of another tractor either. Soon it will turn to black.

I thought you meant that it was painted silver. Still could be the wrong engine per original numbers though. Removing the head and measuring the bore and stroke would tell us how many cubes it is and if it is right or not. A short block also would have originally had a sticker with the part number on it. Tim

Seems like every Broadmoor that I have owned has had the motor changed out at one time or another...Those motors I belive have a aluminum bore and didn't seem to hold up for many years like the old cast iron motors...I did have one Broadmoor with correct motor but the motor threw a rod and there was a big hole in the side of the block..I kept the sheet metal for my restoration project 717...I have a new short block for it but will put the original sheet metal to keep it looking stock..with correct numbers stamped on the cover...

Mowerman, reason you don't find oem engines in those is because the engine fell over on its side when they put it in and they jusy can't stand working laying down on the job:D:D:D

Chris, The simplicity dealer has retired and about the only thing left around is lots of good advise and the Simplicity logo on the side of his 69 Chevy truck. Which I plan to include in pictures as we complete my tractors.

quote:
Originally posted by MPH
Mowerman, reason you don't find oem engines in those is because the engine fell over on its side when they put it in and they jusy can't stand working laying down on the job:D:D:D
Marty, You have a good point there..I never thought about it that way..I always thought it was the aluminum bore rather than the cast iron bore of most all the H shaft motors..