Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

• Announcements

• Kent

Sign In or Password Problems?   10/09/2016

If you can't Sign In, you need to reset your password.  Use the Forgot Your Password link at the bottom of the Sign In screen, and the site will send you an email to reset it. If you have an AOL email account, use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the screen -- AOL is intermittently blocking email from the site.
    • Kent

Feedback Please!   10/28/2017

See News and Announcements forum.
Sign in to follow this  
PhanDad

Differentials - Old vs New

PhanDad
Can anyone explain the difference between the "controlled traction type" differentials used in the later model Sovereigns (say from 1990 to end of production) and the "automatic controlled traction with differential lock" differentials in the newer tractors (such as the Conquest)? Does the differential lockup automatically or is there a switch like on some trucks with off road packages (Toyota Tacoma with TRD package for example)? Do the new ones perform significantly better than the older ones? I know there's a big difference between my 16GTH-L with controlled traction and my Homelite without any (Vickers hydro).

RayS
My Prestige has Automatic Controlled Traction (ACT). There is also a lever on the left hand side at the rear of the running board that you can step on also that will lock both rear wheels into drive. I use it when mowing my ditch and it works excellent. just step on the lever and that puts a end to wheel spin or at least that has been the case for me. ACT applies a preset amount of torque to both rear wheels even if one starts slipping. A transmission without ACT will lose traction completely if one wheel starts slipping.