Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

A-C 410 woes

10HorseMan

Picked up the 410 today, fixed the stuck valves and it runs good. BUT when i first put the battery in it the key switch would not start it so we go straight to the starter. About 2 hours after that the key switch all of a sudden works. Have tried another silonoid, but it has not been used since last year. Also i can't get the tranny to go into 1st and 3rd gear, any way i can get it to go. Other than that the tractor is solid.

Glad to hear it runs good. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with it. If this is a shuttle, and you need parts, I have a complete one in parts here.

Thanks Graham, it even came with the orginal owners manual, 42+42'' mower manual, and the bills where the work and service had been done to it. The deck works fine though i'm going to tear it down and grease it over the winter. I might have ran across a bad solenoid. It is a shuttle, but what is keeping it from going into gear.

Someties I have a hard time with mine going into gear. I think it has something to do with the shifter forks. Theres a bunch of posts somewhere about that.

I cleaned the contacts on the switch that is on the gear shifter this morning, it starts fine now. But that tranny just won't go in gear. Will the screwdriver trick work on this, if so someone please explain it to me.

You can try the screwdriver trick but its difficult to do unless you take the seat pan/fenders of these 300/400 series tractors. Here is the link.http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/portal_External.asp?LinkID=153&LinkName=Manual%20Transmission%20Stuck%20In%20or%20Between%20Gears&CatID=18&CatTitle=Transmissions&URL=http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11763&

Justin, The screwdriver trick may work unless you have a broken gear like was. I could get the tractor to move in 2nd and Reverse but as soon as I would put mine in 1st or 3rd it was stuck there again or better yet stuck between gears. Read the link as posted above and if you have any problems or need any parts for that rearend PM me and I'll see if I can help. Kris This is what I found in my rearend after I took the case apart, don't be too worried about taking the rearend case apart because it's not as hard as it looks. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//attach/KSever/firstandthirdwhole.jpg[/img]

Got the gears going right today, though they are a little bit rough but getting better all of the time. The electric clutch works but when i am in the middle of mowing it will stop working and after a second or two it works fine again. May be a short in the system but it won't slow me down much because i'm still working the bugs out of it, like the tranny belt that hooks to the bgb, jumps off sometimes when I change gears.

Yep I figured since i have wed. off from school, i can get some good quality tractor time, making adjustments and changing the tranny oil, bgb oil. I really like the shuttle for mowing in tight spaces because i don't have to waste all of that time clutching and changing gears.

I Cant wait until we get 2 weeks off for Christmas. Hope I can get a good chunk of the hard sided cab done that i'm building for my 410S. I hope to put the 42" blade on it, the firestone tires, and 100lb wheel weights, then I should be able to move some serious snow:D

Yep, those days off if i'm not in the shop working on the tractors, i'm gone somewhere. I plan to work on them when I can to get them like I want them.