Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snow Roller pics

MPH

While back I posted about making a roller up to pack my driveway into whitle asphalt for the next 5 months. It worked ok on the drive but when I tried going through 5 inches of snow it pushed up in front instead of rolling over, to the point I ran outta traction and had it stuck half way around the property line trail out in the woods. Had to pack tracks with the 725 several times to get it home. Oh well, it was fun.

I guess that I don't understand why you would want to roll your snow. You would think there would be plows or snowblowers where you live at.

I have both snow blowers and blades John. Reason I like to pack down the first snow or two is because that way I'm not plowing or blowing rocks the rest of year, and its gonna be here til end of March or early April anyhow, that puts a lot of gravel on the lawn to rake off in the spring.

Marty, why not just pour water until it freezes the stone into the ice then they won't be picked up by the blower..:D:D:D

An empty lawn roller would be light, filled with ww fluid would be a bit spendy, water would get kinda hard, this thing weighs enough it put a good squat on the Dodge when I brought it home and my only investment in this is the angle iron I used on the hitch. Yea Wayne, bigger dia would roll over it better, but freebies come in the size they are you know.

Why not put the roller on a sled pulled by the tractor? Should pack nicely. An old car/truck hood would be easy to rig as the sled and is easy to pull even in deeper snow. It works.

Marty try pulling a heavy log....I am sure you will find a way to do it by the end of winter. Get a old pickup hood the old flat kind. Put some heavy rocks on it and pull it with your tractor.

quote:
Originally posted by Boney
Marty try pulling a heavy log....I am sure you will find a way to do it by the end of winter. Get a old pickup hood the old flat kind. Put some heavy rocks on it and pull it with your tractor.
This sounds like a good idea, when we were kid swe used to slide down a hill at my uncles house on a VW Beetle hood boy was that hill packed down nice...

Tell ya Bill, if someday I can afford me at least an 80, I might just retire back there by some small town. Packing the snow has worked pretty good for years, Just thought a roller would be the 'cats meow'. It works on the driveway ok, just not the trail through the woods that hadn't even been walked on yet. I'll also use during spring breakup when the drive is soft to pack the rocks that frost brings up back down. Maybe I'll have to dig out some pictures of this place 'in the beginning' and do a Homesteading post.

Go for it Marty...... Ive seen some but would enjoy some more. I'd write more........ But I got-a go plow....... 4" on the ground & still commin down heavy....... That's what I get for openin my BIG MOUTH.

Bill, I am in Stillman Valley, and just got the 3+ blown off. It took 20 minutes with my 7117 repowered with 18 HP command and a 36" blower. It was the first time with the setup .

Marty, Looking at the pictures of your roller, I think I would try putting a thin metal plate on the tongue where the Y is. It might help pre-pack the snow some before it gets to the roller. If not it will cause the roller to ride up on top of the snow a little which would be better than plowing it. It might take more passes to get it all packed down but that's more time on the ol' tractor.

Another idea, mount a deflector in front of the roller to help get it down enough to go under the roller. Just a thought.

Think the defector plate might help. As I really don't need to pack 4-5 inches snow though, think I'll just stay outta the deep stuff. It did ok on the driveway in a couple inches, but me being me, I had to try it out through the woods on the trail.