Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

How much is too much (snow cab)

roma3112

hi all more of an opinion question here but I was wondering how much you folks have paid for snow cabs. I have been searching for a snow cab for my late model sovereign for over a year with no luck finding any used. Origional cab co. still has like 10 or so new for like $650.00 !!! with the hard top and flexi-window I almost died. I think they actually make these for simplicity?? I was wondering how good their quality (origional cab co.) was if any of you have used their products? I am still looking for used but atleast tehre is an alternative option. Have any of you out there paid that much? and are you happy? One other thing i was thinking was do any of you folks know what the hight of the machine overall would be now? i have a low hanging shed door and I prob need to measure it to make sure of the fit. ps. the guy at OTC gave me an OEM x-ref part # of 1693269 take care and thanks john

They are the MFG for the simplicity cab And the last I knew the only place you could get one was from a simplicity dealer. OTC has them listed on there site but certian items have to be bought from a dealer. I have had my cab since 1985 and it has stood up to alot of abuse. I installed a hard windshied and wiper in it 2 years ago. I would say it would be money well spent if you can not find a used one. No more Frosty the Snow Man. The wind only blowes in one direction when you are blowing snow. That direction is IYF. (In Your Face)

Thats probably not to bad of a deal for a new cab considering that used ones on ebay have been running up to $300+...I don't have anything that new so I can't help with your measurements... I got lucky when I bought my cab as it was brand new in the box for a 64 Landlord...I payed $175 for it and I think I stole it for a NOS one...

$200 NOS for mine for the 6116. OTC was the manufacturer. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//uploaded/lsenus/DSC01300.JPG[/img] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//uploaded/lsenus/DSC01316.JPG[/img]

My cab( http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11906 )cost about $430 to build plus ALOT of time & work to build. I thought it was alot of money a the time but I wouldn't even consider doing without it now. I don't know if this helps. Dan

I bought mine new with the tractor in 1992. Without digging out the receipt I believe it was somewhere around $575.00 Knowing what I know about the diference in comfort level for these old bones, I would not hesitate to spend it again. (even the $650.00) Mine is an Original Cab Co. unit and I have been very happy with it.

These shots were taken early this year, the 12th season on the tractor and you can see even the windows are in very good condition. In the spring I fold the curtains up and put them into a garbage bag to keep the dust off during storage. When the windows get dirty during use I wipe them off with a clean snowball. I have never done anything else to them and have not scratched, cracked or discolored them. Money well spent IMHO.

I know I will get yelled at for saying this but for $700 bucks I would rather go buy a beater rust bucket pick up truck to plow my driveway. At least it would have heat.

Here is the snowcab I just installed on my 7016H. I bought this tractor last spring so haven't used it in the snow yet, but I has to be better than using my 2210 without a cab. The cab top measure 67" without the lights.

guys thanks for the responces! Mike when you sid the cab measured 67' to the top was that from the fenders or was it from the bottom of the wheels thanks john b

The 67" is from the ground. It's aprox. 27" from the ground to the top of the seat pan, so the cab is about 40" from the rear frame to the top. Hope this helps.

These pictures are 1 or 2 years old, but the cab looks the same,cost about $375.00 used. I would not hesitate to spend $650. they are well worth it. One winter with a cab and you won't want to live without it. Consider it an investment because as mentioned before they last a LONG time with proper care. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12176&SearchTerms=snow

I think I have $200 for the one for my RBT used, and last year I just used it with the Snowblade rathe then the Blower and I thought it made a world of difference I can't wait to try it with the Blower I too think it is money well spent..

GUYS for those of you with the cabs, how do you store them in the summer to keep them from getting damaged? I would not be able to leave the cab on , as i would need to use the sovereign in the summer for grass duty. And also do you need to treat the materyal in any way to keep it from getting dry and brittle? thanks john

I clean/wipe it down with fantastic/spray nine but the clear vinyl gets cleaned with nothing other than warm water.I then pack each piece in between towels,the doors I have hanging off the garage ceiling. I am VERY VERY careful with it because of the cost.

Here is how I store my cab. There are eyebolts at the corners of the top and I hang it from the ceiling by rope. Next year I'll cover it with an old sheet to keep the dust off.

Keeping it off the floor I can still park a tractor under it and nothing gets bent, and I don't have to take it all apart.

guys All good ideas :) I called the dealer where i bought the tractor and he can get one for $ 539.00 so I still have a few internet places to look into but the origional cab place wanted $650.00 I am in no great hurry because i still dont have the tractor back yet from getting the motor replaced. The search continues>>>> thanks again

I use to hang mine from the ceiling like Mike does. Now I leave the top on for sun shade in the summer, and fold the curtains and place them in plastic bags to keep the dust off.

Here is the way I store them (I have 3).

BTW The yellow cab came with my HB212, the Orange cab is for the 300/400 series Deluxe with power lift, I paid $25 but had to put all new windows in it - cost $90. The 3rd cab (orange AC)which is not in the picture (already installed on tractor) is in excellent condition and I paid $75.

quote:
Originally posted by richp
I know I will get yelled at for saying this but for $700 bucks I would rather go buy a beater rust bucket pick up truck to plow my driveway. At least it would have heat.
I agree that you may get a better value, but then that beater wouldn't be nearly as much fun to operate, in my view. Tacey

How much is too much (to pay for a snow cab)? Not to answer a question with a question, but how much will you use it? How cold do you get when you throw snow? I actually like the "open air feel" of winter work in the yard. I'm a snow skier, so I know how to dress for the chore. I tractor all winter in the open, usually bundled up really well. The answer, of course, is to own 2 tractors. One with the cab for those frigid arctic nights, and one without, for those sunny, warm days after the big snowfall. Tacey

Well randy lets just say that it gets cold enough and miserable enough here for me to consider the $600.00 purchase :D. The other thing is somtimes when it snows if i am working i have to get out real early bundle up then i get soaked and froze so i have to leave enough time to clear the snow and do a wardrobe change before i hit the highway to fight this crappy boston traffic. i am still talking to a few members who have cabs for sale, but if that does not work out the dealer where I bought the machine quoted me $539.00 for one + shipping. The only disappointing thing is that they dont come in orange any more just black vynil [:0] oh well can't have everything i guess. take care john

In my limited experiance, a "$700.00 beater", isn't nearly as cheap to maintain or operate as one of our tractors, and probably won't last the same 20 years plus with so little maintanance or further expenditure.