Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

tractor mounted chipper shredders

BrownA

For any of you guys that have one of these attachments I was wondering how well they work. I have a Troy Bilt 8 hp free standing machine that works well. It does what it says and will chip a 3" diameter branch. How well do those tractor powered CHIPPER / shredders work ? Are you happy with them ? How could you improve it ? The reason I am asking is because I picked up a Troy Bilt chipper shredder that is for a tiller. I was wondering if it might be worth converting it to work on a tractor like the MacKissic ones. Just curious, toying with ideas of what to do with it. What limits the diameter it can chip other than the chute the branch enters. Could this be modified to accept a little bit bigger branch ? 4" would be nice.

Doesn't the T-built chipper use a Tec. engine? Mounting it on the tractor would certainly make it faster I would think. I would have serious concerns about modifying it to accept a bigger stick as the shaft and drum would only be designed to take the abuse of a bigger stick. It could come flying apart with you beside it.

I have a MacKissic shredder and it works great. Mine isn`t a chipper though it will break up 1 inch branches. My only complaint is that the hopper isn`t large enough to hold much matrial.

The machine I was considering using is a chipper shredder that works with a Troy Bilt Tiller. You remove the auger section of the tiller and use the engine / transmission to power it. So what I have is the unit minus the power. It is belt driven so I think it can be made to work very easily. My other Chipper shredder uses a 8 hp Briggs engine, no complaints about it.