Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Frozen axle

BLT

I have a Broadmoor given to me that the axle hub (tire rim) is bonded (rusted) to the axle shaft. Does anyone remember the dissolver that is supposed to cut thru it? Thanks

I've had the best luck with getting frozen stuff loose is using PB Blaster. You can get it in most auto parts stores. Much better than WD 40 or Liquid Wrench. I got an old walk behind mower from the dump last weekend and most of the cables were frozen. A quick spray of PB Blaster and in the time it takes to drink a beer, the cables were freed up!

I use Kroil. If you can, sit the axle vertically. Apply a few drops of Kroil daily or even more often at the joint between the hub and axle. When the liquid has disappeared you can put more on. When the wetness can be seen at the other side of the hub, it will come off. This stuff is good. Supposedly will wick through a crack that is only one millionth of an inch. Kroil made by Kano Corp. Many times better than Liquid Wrench or PB Blaster.

When PB Blaster can't get the job done I get out my can of Kroil. Have only had one Gilson rototiller it wouldn't free up, coke got that one lose.

Kroil penetrating oil An industry proven penetrating oil that has no equal. Quickly loosens rusted nuts and bolts - frees frozen shafts, pulleys, etc. Penetrates to 1 millionth inch spaces, dissolves rust, lubricates, cleans and prevents rust. Displaces moisture. The oil that creeps. Order online [url]http://www.kanolabs.com/[/url] Order direct or for more information 800-311-3374 FREE Aerosol Deal 1 FREE can of AEROKROIL, the oil that creeps, penetrating oil that loosens frozen metal parts with any purchase - OR - substitute any Kano aerosol, just let us know which aerosol you prefer by selecting a substitute from the list:

I have had that problem on a few of my Broadmoors. I tyed PB to no avail. Ended up using the fire wrench. It only took alittle heat to free it up. Elon

I'm not familiar with the Broadmoor, but based on the other replies, I'm going to guess that it does not use lug bolts to attach the rim to the axle shaft. Nonetheless, I'll offer this suggestion in the event that it uses lug bolts. I used to have trouble removing truck rims from hubs when the corrosion would build up between the wheel pilot and the hub pilot. I would loosen all the lug nuts about a 1/4 inch and then go out and do some brake and/or throttle applications. The torque would break the rust bond and allow the rim to rotate slightly on the hub. If it was really rusted tight, I might have to do some low speed cornering maneuvers to break it loose. You might want to try this technique.