Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Oil Leak

10HorseMan

Today I changed the tranny and bgb oil in my new A-C 410s and after I let it drain good and washed it out with 1/2 pint of 80w-90w gear oil. Then I put a little over 1.5 qts back in it. After I Got it back together, I noticed that the old oil that I thought was all out was dripping slowly out of the left axle tube where it goes in the housing. Why the old oil, But I did fill it until it was running out and capped it. But why was it not leaking before. May be a dumb question but i have no experience with the 400 series

there are three plugs on the rear end. bottom plug for draining, middle plug for topping off, and top plug for letting air out. Did you fill the rear to the top plug? I did that before I found this site and and all the manuals and all of the great help from people, now she does not leak. I hope this helps. JH

Yes I agree, there are lots of people willing to help here. I did not fill it to the top plug but i did fill it to the middle plug but it was running out and all over my floor so i capped it off.

quote:
Originally posted by dutch
Was it leaking before? Is it overfull now? Was 90w gear or multi-purpose in it before?
No it wasn't leaking before It may be a drop overfull Don't know what was in it because it was in bad shape, and i didn't put it in there.

If your middle plug has an elbow on it like the one on mine, it should not be filled to the top of the elbow. It should only be filled till you can see a little in the bottom. Most times, filling to the top of the elbow will make grease leak out of the seals. I overfilled my 61 Wards and it leaked until it got to the correct fill level, then stopped leaking.

Even if you don't have an elbow on the middle plug, by capping it because it was running out your likely overfilled a little as the thick 90wt was still running down through the gears when your capped it off. I'd try pulling the drain plug and drain it off until it stops coming out the fill level plug.

It likely has a cavity in the end of the axle that keeps a reservoir of oil to keep the bearings soaked in oil even when on a steep hill. The differential likely has been low for a long time and now that you've filled it is showing it needs a new seal put in.