Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

beveled Gear

samson

I have a beveled gear that has come loose from the shaft. They tell me that this gear is pushed on to a heated shaft. I'm told that these gears can be removed or put back on tight by heating. My question is, Is this a fact and if so how hot must the shaft be? This is the first time I'v run into this and wondered how it could be on there tight enough to withstand the pressure. Any help will be appreciated Roger

Roger go back to the CD I sent you. Both gears are held in place with woodruff keys and a special bolt on the driver and a nut held on the driven keeps them tight. Everything in the book relates to tapping things with a hammer. Tell 'they' you want to see that portion of the repair manual. BT

Friction can be a tighter fit than welding if the machined surfaces match correctly. ie, the ring gear on most any flywheel is heated and drops onto the flywheel with ease, once it cools, its stuck tight. If the gear you refer to has spun and wore itself out of spec. or worn the shaft, they will need to be remachined to restore them to the correct spec. before the friction will be enough to hold them.As for how much to heat it, some have the abiliaty to heat the part in a supper hot oil solution. Most as I do just use a torch, preferably with a rosebud tip for quickness. It dosen't take much to expand a circle and get it to drop on.

Thanks Dave, and Bob, The shaft in question is not abgb from a simpl. its a gear box from a bolens shaft driven mowing deck. So Dave what you tell me is what I will try. I'll put the rosebud on and see if it works. It doesn't seem to be worn, just came lose. If not can get new for 136.56. Thanks again Roger