Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicty Story??

Bunky

Mowerman got this great book on Wheel Horse's it's called "Straight From The Horse's Mouth" with all kinds of info,History, Model numbers, years made,Photo's , ETC.. I think it would be a good Idea for someone to pusblish one on the Simplicty-Allis Chalmers info. It could be sold to make profits for the club, and people that don't have internet would even be itnerested it it.... 8D

I agree with you 110%! I had wondered about that some time ago, before I discovered SimpleTractors. I have 2 books on the Allis-Chalmers story. Both books have a small section on the Lawn and Garden Tractor line, but they mostly discuss the Agricultural, Industial, and Construction side of A-C. There should be a book of some kind about Simplicity and in it it should have the entire history of the Company. It should also contain information of the other brands that were manufactured by Simplicity too. Maybe, we can spark some interest to the right people?:);)

Hi, Am out in Portland OR visiting my kids. Went to a guys place yesterday that has "tons" of old construction equipment. He has over 100 pieces of old Caterpillers, 2 tons, 10 tons, Holts, Bests, (from before the merger)10s, Hi clearance 10s, wide track 10s, 28, 40s 50s gas and diesels probably the largest collections of 60 of all variations in the US, D2s, RD4s, D4s, D6s, D7s, D8s. 4 Rumleys, later to become Allis Chalmers, including the largest they made, a 30-60hp 2 cyl. Several Allis crawlers model K's, L's, M's and an old Monarch which was competitive with the 60 Cat. Allis bought Monarch in 1922. A really nice John Deere Lindeman crawler. Lindeman bought John Deere model B engines and transmissions in the 1930s shipped them to Yakima or Tacoma and made crawlers out of them. They built 3500. A 1020 Mc Cormick Deering crawler. The first on of these I had ever seen in real life. All kinds of old International W4s W6s etc and John Deere large wheel tractors, R diesels, 820 diesels. Cletracs a bunch, We just saw the stuff setting around and stopped, no one was home, but there was a name on a truck, so we called it and the guy said he would be home in an hour. We went back and spent a wonderful afternoon with him showing and telling the stories on all of this stuff. Tractors that I was in love with when I was a kid. We used to have a 20 Cat that I skidded logs with when I was about 10 yrs old. At that time I dreamed we might get an old 60. Made for a Wonderful Thanksgiving trip. Happy Thanksgiving to all. Al Eden

Al: That does sound like a wonderful and memorable Thanksgiving. I've never seen (or heard of!) a collection on the scale you found, but I do love stumbling into things like that. Especially with the girlfriend. Thanks for sharing. Peter