Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Gearbox Question

maxtorman1234

I was wondering if anybody has a 16HP engine and is using the old bgb from a B with it. Has anybody had problems since it has smaller shafts? I was mainly wondering if I could find an old bgb from a B and keep the input shaft, and get larger bearings + seals for the output shaft and use the larger shaft. The actual gear size is the same, but the bore is different if i'm not mistaken. Does anybody know if this will work? Thanks,

Graham, The 61 Wards tractor that I had at GOTO (Thunder Foot) has been used for tractor pulling off and on for 20 years. It has the original BGB. We have run that unit, BGB and Tranny, in another tractor with a 16 Hp that had the head shaved .060. It now has a 14 HP Kohler on it. We have not had any problems with the BGB. The Wards is the same BGB as the ones in the "B".

Ok, Thanks. Guess i'll look for an old bgb from a B and try it. I find they're easier to come across. It would also give more options to what I can do.

I have a B1 with a 16 hp briggs in it and have never had a problem with the gear box.Have pushed snow, mowed, and run a tiller with it and so far has done good

I also have a 16hp in a tractor that has the old style B series BGB in it with no problems. No matter what the hp is they are all turning around the same 3600 rpm at full throttle.

I have had both older(smaller) bgb and the newer (larger)bgb on my bench and there is no major advantage to the so called larger bgb from the smaller. Its mostly availability from my opinion. The larger bgb is a little more difficilt to reassemble, the output shaft has snap rings that can be triky. And the smaller ones have a milled output shaft that holds the gear in place. This milled shaft i bileave its 7/8 one end and 3/4 on the other end, and its about 2 or 3 inches shorter in lenth is why its call smaller. The larger bgb is longer and not milled down or as much. This making the output shaft side case bearings different from the smaller/older style. If the bgb is the weak link in the AC Simplicity desigh or not is debatable but it shure is the most misunderstood beast around. From my experence if input shaft inside bearing is replaced and proper gear mess and tightly assembled (proper amout of spacers)it will work a long time and take a beating. The general wear on the bearings that holds the shafts holding the gears cause the gear to be eatin away. Responding to your question it is possable to to do what you ask, but you need to consier the output pulley (both sides)and its size and function. To what is it driving the old rear ends or newer and PTOs.