Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Allis ran today, but

GWGAllisfan

Finally got my B-10 running today, I rebuilt the 4 bolt Flo-jet carb that was leaking, including all the fixes for leaking nozzles and such that people had sent me. I was able get it to run for about 15 minutes befoe it started to rain, again, and I had to shut it off. The problem is, after I shut it off it wouldn't start again. There was a very small amount of gas in the carb body, but nowhere near as much as before I worked on it. When it first started it puffed black smoke for a while making me think it was rich, but it settled down and ran fine. How sensitive are these carbs to float level? Any ideas? Is it time to give up? Should I just ask Santa for a new carb?

I've been looking at those, but they have a different part number than the one that should be for this motour. Are they all the same, just with differetn part numbers for different engines?

It should work. Most of the 4 bolts are the same. The newer engines had the solid mounting pipe for the air filter but it will still work, but it you'll have to use the air filter that it had. This one looks like it has the removable air filter tube. At a good price though.

In the Briggs parts manual they have different numbers for the carbs depending on the type number for the engine. You should have no problems with it.

I would not give up on the old carb so fast. Check the flot for hight adjustment. It is not hard to do and may be all you need.

GWG, I'm with dhardin. Don't give up on the old rebuilt carb. Could be it was running rich because the bowl was full of gas when you first started it. As it ran and with the float not adjusted it could have been running low on gas in the bowl which caused it to lean out ("seem to come out of it"). I'd ajust the float height and you will probably find it will run rich again and you will need to adjust the hi and lo idle for richness. Just my thoughts.

I'll tinker with it some more and let Ya'll know. It's so close to right I'm afraid I'll only make it worse if I tinker with it. Just a pessimistic streak in my nature, I suppose...