Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

K301 KOHLER WITH WALBRO CARB

biggie_rat

My Simplicity 7112 with a Kohler K301 has a Walbro carb with a fixed high speed jet. It has been taken apart, cleaned (not that it needed it) and with the instructions in the Kohler manual still surges, pops and almost seems as if it is running out of gas but is not. It idles great. Has anyone got a rule of thumb that I am missing on the setting of the high idle and low idle. There is no water in the gas and the fuel pump is working. It has a valve job and the valves are adjusted correctly. Thanks and My dues were sent in today.

Check the throttle shaft for play, I had to replace my carb because of excess slop on the throttle shaft. I was doing the same thing as you described.

I've redone the throttle shaft on two Kohlers. Engine would miss intermittently at high speeds and would spit and sputter when the throttle shaft moved. Both were adjustable main jet carbs. Couldn't be adjusted out of them till shaft was fixed. If you are thinking about replacing the carb, then I would try opening up the jet by .001 and see if that helps. If it messes things up more, well, you were going to replace it anyway. If it fixes the problem, then you saved some money.