Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

B&S May Buy Parts of Murray

JayM

Briggs & Stratton Corp. said Tuesday it may buy some assets of Murray Inc., the lawn mower manufacturer that filed for bankruptcy and owes Briggs $40 million. Briggs is trying to recover money for engines it sold to Murray last spring. The Brentwood, Tenn., manufacturer of riding mowers, as well as snow blowers and go-carts, sought Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in November................ Complete article from the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel can be found at http://www.jsonline.com/bym/news/nov04/279876.asp

It wouldn't be no loss to me if Murray just completely went out of business. I never liked their products in the first place. I think the tractors they are currently selling in Home Depot are one ugly tractor. I really hate what they done with the grill.

You'd be surprised at how many people around here swear by Murrays. I couldn't believe it myself. When you mention something about a decent tractor to them.....they ask well are you gonna buy it? I just say, well instead of buying a new Murray every 5 years, you can buy a (whatever quality brand) and not have to buy another one for 15 years. Just makes no sense to some people. My uncle told me last week he was mowing last week and the front right tire came off of his Murray. You know if that happens, it wouldn't surprise me to see some of those "parts" migrate to the Simplicity line since Briggs owns them now.